Why cant I understand math?

Im a 15 year old girl and I've always had so much trouble with math. I never liked it much because I wasn't comfortable with it. I can only do basic math and I've gotten help but It never does anything. I've failed every math test this year. I find math SO overwhelming and I often just don't even attempt it any more because it frustrates me to a point at which I nearly cry! Why can't I understand math? I feel like I'm disabled or really unintelligent but I just don't get it! my grade is 49% could there be a reason why I cant understand?!

Favorite Answer

I teach science to people your age, and I hear this complaint a lot: "I'm no good at math". It's easy to say something like "You just have to try harder" (as if you haven't been trying hard already!) but that doesn't fix the problem. Once you get behind in a math class, it's like an avalanche; you don't understand one concept, so you won't be able to learn the next concept that builds on top of it. And if you don't understand THAT concept, there's no way you can fully understand the concepts that are based on that one.

First, please understand that you're probably NOT disabled! Lots of people have trouble with math, but that doesn't mean they're unintelligent or mentally handicapped. It just means their strengths lie in other areas, and that's okay! But of course your school requires you to learn math, so you have to make do somehow!

I won't lie to you...getting caught up is going to be extremely hard for you. You already don't like math (and that's okay...lots of people don't), and you've got a lot of thorny ground to cover just to catch up, THEN you've got to master all the new topics as well. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's going to require a much greater level of dedication than your classmates will have to put in.

Sound unfair? Well, you'll get no argument here. But life's like that...sometimes we have to decide how hard we're willing to work to accomplish a goal, even if that goal seems far out of reach.

Fortunately you don't have to work alone. The University of Utah (with whom I am in no way affiliated :) has put together a pretty good set of webpages aimed at people like you. I hope you'll take the time to read through them, and I hope you'll find some inspiration there. I really hope it helps. Good luck!

http://www.math.utah.edu/~pa/math.html

• Erika

properly countless anyone is undesirable at math, and that i ensue to be one among them. yet that's pleased with me through fact i'm good at paintings and that i'm no longer attempting to get right into a field sometime that I is composed of impossible math. i think of you think of your instructor hates you or seems to be like determining on on you when you consider which you're doing undesirable interior the type, yet in certainty they only desire you to pay interest and hear what they must say so which you do properly! bypass on your instructor and clarify your undertaking, and that i'm particular they could be chuffed that should assist you! Or they might request a loose coach for you :)

Because you don't like it! If you don't like something, you tend to do that bad because you hate it. It's okay though, school is hard for some people, including me. So don't get so down.

Source(s): I suck at school also, so I can feel your pain.

Because you're either overanalyzing it, not trying, or you can't apply previous knowledge.

Regardless, you should seek extra help. Maybe even a tutor.