Are the Chicago White Sox equipped to win the A.L. Central?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, yes. But they are not equipped to run away with the division. At this point, Cleveland or Detroit could also win the division.

Chicago has all the pieces to win the AL Central. They have some good starters in Peavy and Sale, but Floyd, Danks, and Humber all need to improve because they are struggling this season. Peavy and Sale can't lead the team the whole season. A huge reason why the White Sox jumped into first place was because of the offense making up for poor pitching. In the long run, the starting pitching will need to improve from those three.

The bullpen is average. All teams have those lights out bullpen guys and those bad ones. The Sox have lights out Addison Reed in the closer role and young Nate Jones in there too, while Will Ohman and Matt Thornton are those bad relievers that every team has. But the bullpen is not a huge weakness so it should last all season.

The offense is looking good right now, but whether that can last is the question. De Aza, Dunn, and Konerko hitting at the top is really what makes the offense strong. And then with Rios nad Pierzynski rounding them out, they have a decent lineup. Viciedo, Beckham, and Ramirez are starting to get rolling at this time as well and with the injury of Brent Morel to the lineup, the White Sox gained offense just by his loss because he sucked so much. The offense looks pretty good for the long haul.

So yes, the White Sox have what it takes to win the AL Central, but so do Detroit and Cleveland. It's not even June yet, so we'll see how it all pans out.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No.

• Tigger
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

They have as good a chance as anyone but I can't see the future.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think so, they have good defense in just about all positions, their rotation is pretty good, the bullpen has been pretty solid, Reed is now the closer and has done well outside of that game against the Royals. The offense has come alive, Paulie is having a great year, Dunn is having a good year, Viciedo has been tearing the cover off the ball, Beckham has started to find his stride, Alexei is showing signs of getting hot, A.J. is having a good season, De Aza has been a good leadoff hitter, that's seven hitters that have contributed, Morel is on the DL and I don't expect much from him when he comes back, oh and Rios has done well. This lineup is pretty balanced and the pitching has done pretty good. The White Sox are going to be a tough team in the division and we were told we're rebuilding. This team looks good and I've watched every game this season.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Pitching wise....yes...no idea where they keep getting these young arms from...Sale, Nick Jones..etc..names barely heard of up until this year.

Adam Dunn remains a mystery...0-5 with 4 K's tonight, yet he bats 3rd in what appears to be a weak lineup.

But sure, they could win it.

• 9 years ago

I don't see why not. You know everyone seems to think the White Sox are rebuilding but the only things they have had to rebuild is their oufield with De Aza in Center moving Rios to right and Viciedo in left. And they have had to rebuild their bullpen. They have a decent rotation with Reavy finally healthy though they lost Buerle. Humber got back on track last night and should start turning things around. Dunn is having a monster come back season Beckham has started hitting and Pauly is always productive. If there is one need they have it's a closer. Thorton is good in the 7th and 8th but can't always seem to close things out in the 9th. Im not sure who they could get with closers such as Bell Papelbon Nathan and Broxton all signing new deals there is no market. It's too bad Kerry Wood retired becuase I think if he was healthy the Sox could have worked out a trade with the Cubs and he could have filled the role.

• 9 years ago

Inspector Callahan is awesome.

Anyway, yes I do believe that's the case but their pitching has to either toughen up or they are going to be expected to score 9 runs every single game. It can't be both otherwise they'll be super worn out for the postseason

Source(s): MLB fan for 24 years
  • 9 years ago

if it comes down to which team has the best Equipment Manager, I'd say the Tigers. that guy hasn't lost one uniform, bat, helmet, shoe, jock, dougnut or package of sunflower seeds. the guy with the White Sox is still learning.

• 9 years ago

If Paul Konerko can keep hitting .400 and the Tigers refuse to score runs or pitch beyond Justin Verlander, sure... Of course, neither will happen, so no I don't see the Sox winning the AL Central.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.