Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 9 years ago

who named the hudson bay? and why?? im doing a project on henry hudson. i know someone named it after him but?

but who did and why??

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Henry Hudson (c. 1565 – 1611) was an English sea explorer and navigator in the early 17th century.[

Hudson made two attempts on behalf of English merchants to find a prospective Northwest Passage to Cathay (today's China) via a route above the Arctic Circle. Hudson explored the region around modern New York metropolitan area while looking for a western route to Asia under the auspices of the Dutch East India Company. He explored the river which eventually was named for him, and laid thereby the foundation for Dutch colonization of the region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Hudson

Hudson was captain of the expedition. His explorations led the way for others to follow. My guess would be that leaders of the Dutch East India company would have referred to the river and bay as Hudson as a reference to the captain of the study. If you are not familiar with his explorations or what became of him, click on the link above and read the whole article so that you understand more about his contributions.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Hudson was looking for the Northwest Passage (the sea route over Canada from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean). He thought he had found it when he sailed into the bay. They were near the southern part of the bay when winter came and the ship became locked in the ice. They barely survived. In the spring, they set out again and that's when Hudson realised it wasn't the Pacific Ocean. They were in a bay. Hudson himself named it Hudson Bay.

When they reached the Arctic Ocean again, Hudson still wanted to continue sailing west to find the passage, but the crew mutinied. Hudson, his loyal crew, his son, and the sailors who were suffering worst from scurvy, were forced into a lifeboat and left to fend for themselves as the rest of the crew sailed back to England.

To this day, nobody knows what happened to Hudson.

Source(s): I'm Canadian. I studied this stuff in school.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.