Frank asked in HealthOptical · 9 years ago

Contact Lenses vs. Eyeglasses?

Contact lenses are on the pupils. Eyeglasses are 0.5" or 15mm from the pupils. Contact lenses help the near sighted vision, while eyeglasses help the far sighted vision. By how much? -0.25 or -0.5?

When we take the eye exams, do optometrists give us the contact lenes or eyeglasses presription readings?

My question may not be clear.

Since eyeglasses are away from the pupils while contact lenses are on the pupils,

(1) For near sighted, we need weaker presription for contact lenses but stronger prescription for eyeglasses.

(2) For far sighted, we need stronger presription for contact lenses but weaker prescription for eyeglasses.

BUT by how much? +0.1 or +0.2 or +0.3 or +0.4 ...?

There are formula general on the energy and distance the prescription is from the attention. easily oftentimes the refracting gadget is extra from the eyes than the glasses must be. It does now no longer tend to be large different than the powers are very extreme. I for my area have discovered it extra powerful to place contacts on the sufferer that i think are the main appropriate energy and refracting over them. The hyperlinks below are for a conversion chart and a conversion calculator.

1

Source(s): Naturally Improve Eyesight 20/20 - http://improveeyesight.uzaev.com/?RdmE

There are formulas based on the power and distance the prescription is from the eye. Actually sometimes the refracting device is further from the eyes than the glasses will be. It does not tend to be significant unless the powers are very high. I personally have found it more useful to place contacts on the patient that I think are the correct power and refracting over them.

The links below are for a conversion chart and a conversion calculator.

• Kevin

Why do you assume contacts are for nearsightedness and glasses are for farsightedness? That doesn't make a lot of sense. Most people who wear glasses do so because they are nearsighted.

As for how much, that depends on the prescription. .25 is the lowest while the highs can be in the high 20's or 30's, I think. Whether you get a prescription for glasses or contacts depends on what you say you want at the start of the appointment.

*edit*

You're right, your question wasn't clear. I understand it now though. But, I still don't have an answer. Glasses and contact prescriptions are different by a small amount, but I don't know how much. I've never had contacts. I wouldn't recommend getting contacts by just changing your glasses prescription by a small amount. You still need to know what size contacts and the curve of your eye (base curve?). You'd need to be fitted so you know you're getting the right contacts.