Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 9 years ago

What is the gender breakdown of king crab fishers off the coast of Alaska?

...which is possibly the most deadly job in the world? I'm talking about the crabbers who actually work the boats at sea, not the office help on shore.

Does the gender breakdown of the workers come close to mirroring that of crab consumers?

Actually I don't know what the breakdown is. I have only seen images of men (or possibly extremely mannish women) performing the job. But with all the talk of strong & empowered women, I figure that can't be an accurate representation.

Favorite Answer

Its probably men, if its a deadly job.

We save deadly jobs for men.

Women are too precious to risk our soft little hands doing deadly jobs.

• Sarah

I'd guess almost all of them are men.

*However*, I did read of a terrible case in which a female worker on a crab boat was knocked into some kind of chum grinder and had her legs mangled. They were days from land, and by the time they got there her legs had rotted and had to be amputated... harsh.

But there are apparently some women out there :/

Collectively male. Alaskan families tend toward a traditional hunter-gatherer set of gender roles.

Source(s): Lived in AK for fifteen years

Definitely all men, if a woman is working on the boat it's probably just paperwork, but I doubt even that