Anthony asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

How do I convert a 20 gallon tank to a 50 gallon tank?

I have 4 goldfish 2 fantails and 2 commets in a 20 gallon tank with 1 anubius 2 java fern and 1 anacharis I need to know how to cycle the new tank. What I can transfer over and what chemicals and basically any info on the topic plz help

• John B
    Favorite Answer

Bacteria is present in you filter media and in the gravel. If you just take your filter and put it on your new tank, along with your new filter and if you can take the old gravel, put it to one side of the new tank. Don't rinse anything off, which is better. Do not rinse anything with tap water. The chlorine will kill bacteria in an instant. Make sure you treat your new water with fresh start or something similar, but wait 24 hours before adding your gravel and filter over. That way all the chlorine will be absent.

Source(s): experienced 50+ yrs

The best way that is safest for the health of your fish is to perform a 'fishless cycle'.

There are a lot of internet resources available on the subject, but here is one of them:

http://petskeepersguide.com/fishless-cycle-nitroge...

As far as what you can transfer over, you can transer the aquatic plants immediately as they will actually assist in the cycling process. It is best to wait until the cycle is complete before transferring the fish.

Best!

You can put bricks in the bottom. It will make the water expand and you can add enough to add up to 50