How can I upgrade my current laptop for gaming?

I have a toshiba satellite L655 laptop. It's good enough for my college courses, but now I want a good gaming laptop. The problem is that I don't have the money to go buy a new one. I need to keep a fairy low budget, absolute maximum of 400$. What sort of video card should I get (for games like diablo 3, SWTOR, and eventually guild wars 2)? Should i upgrade my processor? I don't know what one I have, the sticker says intel premium. Please keep in mind my budget. I need to know what parts I should look at getting, maybe how to install them, and even just basic info about how to research things like that. I looked it up but I have no idea what all the numbers mean so if that could be explained I would appreciate it. Also any forums I should check out, that would be useful information as well

Favorite Answer

You cant actually update the Graphics card so i think you have to buy a new one

Cant, but you can see what you can run on system requirements lab website (you may be pleasantly surprised)

i have a m11x r1 and it is great for current gen games. I can play mw3 on high with no lag. Unfortunately i do not know much about your laptop but i can tell you that you wont be able to upgrade it. Laptops are next to impossible to add a new video card to. At the end of the day it will actually be cheaper to buy a new computer with a good graphics card. I recommend going on ebay and trying to find a laptop with a nvidia or amd video card, 4+ gigs of ram, and a decent processor.

Source(s): PC Gamer(literally, not the magazine) : )
  • Jack

The only things you can really do is add more RAM and buy an external GPU. However, those external GPUs are not cheap.

• Ron M

When are you laptop owners going to get this. 95% of the laptops built can't be upgraded for gaming. Gaming requires a bf fast powerful video card. The video card in a laptop is imbedded and therefor can't be change or upgraded.

Laptops were and are built for portability and convenience, not for gaming.

• Andy

You can't. Laptops aren't easily (usually nearly impossible actually) upgradeable.

It's better to buy a new one, Yes it will cost you more but the kind of experience you will get is out of this world.