Is college only financially benificial once you've obtained your degree?

I'm starting college next week. I will be working full time and going to school at night. I can only take 1 class each semester. It's going to take me FOREVER to get through school just to get my Associates degree (6-8 years). Will I benefit financially at work from each class I take or will I only benefit once I have the actual degree at the end of it all?

In college, you'll learn more than just English and math and psychology and all that. You'll gain important skills that will help you in pretty much everything you do in life: time management, problem-solving, logical thinking, communication (writing and speaking), and setting/achieving short-term and long-term goals.

As for the financial benefits, there really aren't any while you're still in school. It's possible that the broader skills you learn can make you a more valuable employee, but there are no guarantees. But I just mentioned short-term and long-term goals, and that's what this is all about. Each semester, you'll have lots of little short-term goals- finishing papers and projects before deadlines and making it through the semester itself. This will all teach you patience, determination, and discipline. As I said, developing these traits will help you immediately in life. Graduating is the ultimate long-term goal of college, and all those little goals will help you get there.

Stick with it. Even if it takes you a while, it will pay off in the long run.

I don't know if you will be given a "financial reward" for being enrolled in college by your employer. However, some employers *do* require continuing education programs. So let's just say that when it comes time to fire someone, they'll fire the high school kid with no college studies and no work history.

I would tell the employer that you're working on your college degree, but you're doing about 1 class a semester. Ask the employer if he/she knows of anyone else who is going to your college. Maybe you could... carpool or something.

That way you've "dropped the hint" that you're going to college, and you may even get a benefit from carpooling.

Do you already have a job that you want to remain at, or are you simply working a random full-time job to pay for school?

This is something that will depend on your employer, however, you may find that once you finish your Associate's --- something that typically only takes two years or less -- there will be others coming in who have Bachelor's or Master's and they will be competing with you.

If you have a job that you want to keep, my advice would be to take as many online classes as you possibly can so you can take on at least one or two more and get yourself through school faster. If you are just working a job you don't have any interest in staying in, I would cut back to a part-time job, take out a loan if need be, and get through school more quickly.

It is generally a bad idea for career purposes to take just one course at a time. Most students give up.

If you're serious about education, you need to attend at least half-time.

It depends on the promotional policies of your employer.