David P asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

how to koi disappear in garden pond?

I live in Iowa in summer and Florida in winter. i have a large garden pond with Koi fish. It is deep and never freezes to the bottom. I leave the Koi in pond year round. The last two years when I returned to Iowa all my koi were gone. No bones, nothing. Where do they go? do herons catch them, racoons, eagles, hawks or do they just vanish into thin air. I do not know. Any ideas!

• catx
    Favorite Answer

Herons, local cats, large hawks, raccoons, other local predators (in the UK, Otters are a growing culprit of Koi vanishing!), all LOVE a bit of Koi. And if you're leaving Koi unattended, other people are known to fish out Koi either to keep themselves or to sell on too - Koi theft is surprisingly common when people mistakenly think all Koi must be worth lots of money (when in reality it's only the show quality ones worth anything, especially Japanese imported ones).

that's same like different ponds to construct a koi pond yet difference is right here to look after and searching after that pond. through fact koi is extra gentle and die with little carelessness. as an occasion if any poisonous sealant would be used to repair pond it will be risky so which you need to be careful approximately that and use purely Pond professional 2000 this is eco friendly.

Animals are getting to them and eating them, snakes are also known to get in there too.

Source(s): I'm a trained fish specialist
  • John B

You answered your own question.......Coons, hawks, cats.

Yeah birds could play a role in removing them. Try putting up a net around the pond. Also it could b small mammals like raccoons or something just make sure the koi can't hop out and nothing else can get in

• ?

Was your pond conntected to a water way? I would check that.

How do you know that it never freezes? They most likely died to due lack of oxygen. Get a heater and a filter next time.

The Lochness is in your koi pond