Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 9 years ago

Is this a "reasonable" punishment?

I'm sixteen, and I'm some what responsible I maintain a C average in school, I have a license and I car that my parents paid for, I don't have a job but my parents give me a 50$ a week allowance. I recently got pulled over for speeding, and I had weed in my car, the police let me off with a warning, but suspended my license and took me home to my parents. When my parents found out they took away everything I had, tv, phone, radio, and everything out of my room except my bed, they even took the door off. My parents drive me to and from school and I can't go anywhere after school or on the weekends, for at least six months. My parents choose the clothes I wear everyday, they took away all make up, and they made me cut my hair to my ears. When the cops brought me home to my parents, my mom got a paddle and she spanked me, I was so embarrassed that my whole family saw me get spanked, but my parents said that from now on, I will be treated like a child, and I said a curse word they washed my mouth out with soap! My parents went way to far. Do you think this is fair?

Favorite Answer

Yes it's reasonable. First of all C average isn't that great in school but yet they still took care of you gave you everything you needed and you back stabbed them by doing drugs. So now the trust is gone and it was your fault. Only thing that will fix this is time so just behave and be grateful b/c it sounds like they love you to me.

your getting off easy when the police brought me home drunk ( i am 15 and live in england ) my parents made me spend 4 weekends LOCKED IN my bedroom NO tv NO phone and NO pc you , you complain about your parents choossing your clothes, my parents made me wear my school uniform at weekends, shirt ,tie and blazer, you complain about your parent taking away your bedroom door, your lucky my bedroom door was kept LOCKED AT ALL TIMES with me locked in i was only allowed out for bathroom breaks, i had to write essays and boring lines

Hmmm. They do all this and yet don't take away your access to the Internet? You just made this account today, and this is your first question. That alone cries out "troll!"

I was answering in earnest until you started going overboard.

I have a 16 year old, and I would have sold his car. Grounded him. That part is understandable. The rest is overboard. Hair cut, choosing clothing, spanking...washing your mouth out with soap. Your parents would have crossed the line to abuse.

The police wouldn't let you off with a warning.

After hearing about every 'bad' thing you did - COMPLETELY reasonable punishment.

They also should have also taken your $50 weekly allowance away....because that is way too much money for a teenager to be having on them.

I have 6 teenage grand daughters and they only receive $5 allowance weekly.

You deserve it.

• PetMom

You maintain a C average and have those privileges? That wouldn't fly at my house. We have already informed our children that in order to drive, they must have a job that pays insurance and gas and must have all As and Bs in their classes.

As for the rest of it, it was well deserved. You break the law and break your parents trust, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. Try cleaning up your act.

• Hannah

I agree with everything but the spanking because I don't believe in corporal punishment.

I think all of it is reasonable except , they definitely shouldn't make you cut your hair or take away your make-up ! thats just weird that they cut your hair & Im 16 I know they are doing it so youll quit smoking just really quit and prove them wrong ! goodluck : ) they probably wont stick to the punishment .

Absolutely fair. They gave you a lot of good things and you screwed that up. They can't trust you right now. Take the punishment and start the SLOW process of getting that trust back. You can get it back.

BTW. Be glad you have parents who love you enough to teach you discipline

You are FOS. The cops don't give you a warning and suspend your license. Nice try, troll.