Ramadan: So a guy doesn't need the approval of his wife to marry another one?Isn't that kinda...?

Unfair?

Aren't you suppose to treat all your wives fairly if you want to practice polygamy?I mean isn't getting a second wife without your first wife's permission a bad & UNFAIR start?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Allah(swt) is Fair and Wise,but being a human its normal to be jealous and not wanting to share our man,so if he ask we'll probably say no,and he wont be able to do what God(swt) made halal for him therefor its not obligatory for him to ask

Allah(swt) who is al-Hakim (All Wise) al-Khabir (All Experienced) and who is more knowledgeable about the human beings He created than they themselves are about themselves, has ordained that a man is allowed to marry whom he wills among women as long as he does not bond in marriage under his care and responsibility more than four women. And this is conditioned upon him dealing justly among them the known justice specified by shari’a which includes overnight stays and spending. If he does not have the ability and capacity to deal with such justice, then he should suffice with one, as Allah indicates in Surat al-Nisaa’:

“… marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you will not be able to deal justly (with them) then only one…” (4:3

No evidence appears neither in the Qur’an nor sunnah requiring the permission of the first wife if her husband wishes to marry another wife, and therefore he is not required to ask her permission. However, he needs to be judicious in taking this decision and to weigh it carefully with respect to benefits and drawbacks and to look with the eye of wisdom at all of the considerations pertaining to the matter, and he should strive all he can to conciliate, reassure, and satisfy his first wife, in order to ease and mitigate the effect of the matter upon her.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/61

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Most Muslim women are just too busy trying to survive acid attacks for daring to oppose their "Brave" men.

The other section is just too selfish who have the attitude of "I am all right jack and to hell with the rest oppressed women"

I know this 60 years old Muslim man in California with a grown large family of males and females of over 25 years who just one fine day went back to Pakistan and married a young woman of about 22! I wonder what conversation takes place in his home and in his social society with females if any at all.

May be they talk of how lucky their women are and how they are better than Non Muslim Kaffirs.

For most part besides telling females to cook, clean and have sex, I wonder what they talk about!

• 9 years ago

No its not unfair

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You can consult with her and make her aware of it. But she can't stop him. It is his right.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

No wife will permit. So they should be bothered about their rights only.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Polygamy is something which should be discussed before marriage so none of this occurs.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's very fair.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Polygamy is unfair, unkind, and disrespectful to begin with. Islam is unfair to women about all things so why would you expect marriage to be any different? Where does it say that a man needs a woman's permission for anything? Since when is Islamic marriage about love? It's not. It's arranged, a contract, a way to avoid committing zina.

• 9 years ago

If the first wife says no and he still goes forward with the second marriage then she can leave him which then defeats the purpose of polygamy and he'll be punished for it. So the man has to ask for his wife's consent.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.