Trim was taken off my boat but left bolt holes in transom should I put in bolts with silicone to cover it up?

It's on a 1969 crestliner fiberglass transom with wood pad on front

• mark t
    Favorite Answer

I would rather see you epoxy the holes then use bolts. The epoxy is forever and you do not have to worry about leaking from the front side either. Marine-Tex is very good but I feel West Systems Six10 epoxy is better. It mixes in it's own nozzle to the correct ratio and comes out as a no sag gel. Shoot it into the hole and let it set overnight. Come back and wet sand it in the morning. You can even tint it with fiberglass tint to get it very close in color to your hull by shooting it into a mixing tub and tinting. Then apply with a putty knife. Good luck.

• Dan

Silicone, no bolts. Fill the holes and smooth with a business card.

• jtexas

Tha't'll work just fine. Stainless steel. Coat the threads with 3m 5200 marine adhesive sealant, use a large washer on both sides, also with 5200.

Household silicone sealants get stiff and tend to draw up when cured. The 5200 will make a permanent seal.

As an alternative, you could fill the holes with marine-tex (fiberglass putty) but the bolts will probably look better.

• roger

yes thats what I would do and make sure they are waker tight