Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsMusic & Music Players · 9 years ago

I have a 5yr old that wants ipod 4 the music,games,movies any suggestions?

What would be more of an age approiate gift and still have games,music,and movies

The gift of early maturity. Do you really want to start this kid off on the road to instant gratification at the age of 5? What do you think people do when they have these devices? Mostly nothing - even with interactive games, the experience is largely passive. For people who are adults, it's a way to kill time while commuting - kids don't understand that because all of their time is like that, they think that being passive that way is the rule, not the exception, and by teaching that lesson before s/he is old enough to read, you make it harder to unlearn later on.

I mean, do you really want to remember this moment in 20 years when your kid is on "Biggest Loser"?

• Liz H

I passed on an older iPod Touch 3 to my nephew. But it was only an older model no one wanted any more because someone upgraded a phone.

No way you can expect a 5 year old to be careful enough with a $200 electronic device. You will probably be upset if he damages it.

If you can find an old used one, it is a great toy. Many of the free games are G rated for kids. Renting a movie for a road trip is a great thing to be able to do. (you can only fit one or two movies on an 8 gb with nothing else on it, you might want to go for more gigs).

I really discourage purchasing a new one for a kid this age.