Is homeschooling really worth it?

My dad is planning to get me homeschooled for highschool. I heard colleges look for people who were homeschooled.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Homeschooling is worth it if you excel at it. Colleges look for a diverse type of student body that excelled. Homeschooling can help because it helps you to stand out. It gives you something that is different than the other applicants. Colleges recruit homeschooled students, but they also recruit students who attended schools. So don't fall for the notion that colleges are only interested in homeschooled students because they are so much more mature, disciplined, don't party etc; that schooled students are all inferior. You cannot get into college just because you were homeschooled, you still need excellent SAT or ACT scores. You still need community service, sports and/or other activities. What it boils down to is that colleges like all types of excellent students. Whatever type of education is best for you is the type of education that the colleges will be interested in. They are interested in great students, not students who think they are great because of where they were educated.

• dusty

I am a homeschooled pupil correct now in tenth grade and I find it irresistible. I firmly suppose that any homeschooled pupil with the correct brain set and self area can succeed in some distance past the limits of intellectual studying that public university would ever provide her. I might endorse very strongly homeschooling her. She can pass at her possess velocity this means that no past due nights and less seizures. Also in the event you are living in a town with a homeschool institution, get her in that too. Those companies are more commonly more potent socially for the reason that it's extra focused and targeted. You may additionally desire to check out a couple of group school publications in the event you suppose that you just can't provide her the guide that she demands in a few places. well good fortune.

• Ari

well im not planning on going to college but home school is sure nice. you can take your time OR! you can take advantage of being home schooled and finish early. im home schooled and im 16 and will be graduated by august. also no bullies, you can take breaks whenever you want (including potty breaks!) and you are in the comfort of your own home.

homeschooling is the best..!! if i were you, you should agree with your dad.. haha :D you don't have to worry anything.

It's been great for our family. My daughter started dual enrollment college classes at the community college by 15; by the time she was 18 she had racked up over 50 credits and won a full scholarship to a good university.

My son who is 13 has wanted to be a chef since age 4. It's his calling or something, he's very serious. Last year he was able to start teen culinary courses and he's hoping to do dual enrollment in a couple of years like his sister so he can get his AA degree & finish high school at the same time... then go on to culinary school.

Homeschooling, in my opinion, is A lot better than public schooling. Homeschoolers can work at their own pace. If you need extra help with a subject, you can spend as long as you want working on it. Their is no distracting kids and you can focus more.

Being homeschooled will not automatically help or hurt your chances for getting into college. However, that applies to traditional homeschooling, not online programs. Online programs are just correspondence programs run by either public or private schools, which may not be accepted on the same level as regular students or even traditional homeschool students. Some colleges consider online diplomas like GED because of the number of poor quality programs and lack of direct supervision.

The advantages of homeschool are that you can customize a curriculum to fit your needs, interests, learning style as well as your family budget and values. That may allow you to get better grades. You will also be able to spend as little or as much time on subjects as needed instead of going at the speed of a class.

Source(s): homeschool mom of 2

Ive been homeschooled for most of my life, and I thought it was worth it. It isn't some kind of magic way to get into a collage, and it isn't easy. You have to have the motivation to work, and depending on what kind of homeschooling you do you will have different expieriences. Online is almost exactly like school except for the fact that your doing it at home. You can also learn from books, or so many different kinds of activities.

You can also have more extra time to pick up stuff that you wouldn't have had much time for if you hadn't homeschooled, like a hobbie, or volunteering, or even getting a job.

So if you use it to your advantage then, yes it can help you get into collage, but then again it can totally suck.

"I heard colleges look for people who were homeschooled."

You heard wrong. Colleges look for people who are suited to being at college. They don't care whether you were homeschooled or not.

If you think "being homeschooled" is going to be some sort of magic answer, then you're wrong. But being homeschooled might well lead to you being an attractive college candidate. If, of course, you put the effort in.