Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

My parents keep trying to take my cell but my grandparents pay for my bill.?

My grandparents pay for my cell phone bill and my dad is going so far as to saying he pays for it now. And how he can go online and read all my texts. I have t-mobile and I know you can't do that. He assumes I am doing bad things on my cell phone or my ipod. I told them they can't do anything to my cell cus they do not pay my bill.

• Liddel
    Favorite Answer

Your father needs to man up and take the cell phone and bust it into a few hundred pieces.

lp

• Bob

That does not matter. As long as you are a minor, living under your parents roof, you are subject to their rules. Grow up..

If your parents have custody of you, you can't do anything about this.

In short, whatever you have falls into their domain.

It sounds as if your Dad is trying to protect you by reading your texts. It's invasive (and possibly ilegal in terms fo hacking into an account your grandparents really own), but iit can also be argued he likely has the right to know what you are doing if you are a minor and in his custody. The ownership of the phone is a different matter - and that is between the adults, but your grandparents cannot give you anything that your parents don't approve of, without your parents permission.

Rather than argue this in technical terms (the use and payment for the phone service), work with your Dad to find a middle ground. He wants you to be safe, and you want him to trust you. Sit down with him and find out how you could accomplish what you both want, without him reading every word you say to your friends.

Ultimately, his job is not only to keep you safe until you are no longer a minor, but also to teach you how to make good decisions. Now would be a good time to give you a chance to do that, while giving him some proof from time to time.

If you live under his roof then it's his phone. Doesn't really matter who pays for it as far as you're concerned.

Your parents have the right to do what they want with you as long as it is legal. Taking a cellphone is not illegal, plus, they are the ones who bought it for you. And he is probably just being protective because he loves you. Think about this properly.