What is the Hungarian recipe for Paprikas Csirke---Chicken Paprikash?

Great dish my mother made, cant seem to find it. All recipes seem to different.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Juli
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As you've discovered, there are a lot of variations possible, but it's at heart a very simple ingredient list:

1-2 T of some type of fat (rendered Hungarian bacon being the ideal, but plain old vegetable oil works fine)

1 finely chopped onion

1-2 T paprika (good-quality Hungarian sweet)

1 or 2 chickens in pieces, bone-in, skin removed if desired (it's not going to get a chance at any sort of crispiness, so I prefer it off)

salt

water or broth (anywhere from a few tablespoons to a cup or two, depending on the amount of gravy desired -- I think the gravy is the best part, so I put in enough water to half-cover the chicken pieces)

1 cup (or more) sour cream (the good stuff, no fillers or gums)

The technique is basically braising: cook the onion in the fat until translucent, add the paprika and the salted chicken and cook until the chicken's juices are mostly gone, add liquid, cover and cook on low heat until the chicken is fall-off-the-bone tender (stirring/turning occasionally), add sour cream, and serve.

To be really authentic, you have to serve paprikás csirke over galuska (gnocchi/spaetzle), which is easy to make if you have a gadget for it (http://www.chew.hu/galuskaszaggato/), but not difficult (just slightly slower) without. Directions for galuska: put on a big pot of salted water. While it comes to a boil, combine 1 lb flour, 2-3 eggs, a pinch of salt, and enough milk or water to make a batter or light dough. Using the gadget or a wet spoon, make small dumplings and cook in the now-boiling water until they've spent about a half a minute or so at the surface. Scoop out with a strainer and deposit in serving bowl; add a small amount of butter and/or sour cream to prevent sticking while you make the rest of the dumplings.

• ballou
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Paprikas Csirke Recipe

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Hen Paprikash "fowl pieces stewed in a sauce combo including the ordinary Hungarian ingredient - paprika - together with other spices and bitter cream. This is our family recipe for bird Paprikash. Superb on cold days, and good served over dumplings." customary recipe yield: 4 servings. Prep Time:15 MinutesCook Time:1 Hour 15 MinutesReady In:1 Hour 30 MinutesServings:4 (change) --------------------------------------... Elements: 2 tablespoons publisher 1st baron verulam grease 1 big onion, chopped three cloves garlic, chopped 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon crushed crimson pepper flakes three tablespoons paprika 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole fowl, reduce into pieces 1 cup water 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes 2 tablespoons all-motive flour 1 (eight ounce) container sour cream --------------------------------------... Guidelines: warmth publisher 1st baron verulam grease in a huge skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, salt, pink pepper flakes and paprika. Stir together and saute until onion is translucent. Add chook portions and pour water over all. Cook dinner over medium warmness for 1 hour, adding more water if crucial. Stir in tomatoes, reserving liquid. Stir liquid right into a medium bowl with flour and sour cream; combine except good blended, then slowly add blend to fowl, stirring continuously. Cook dinner unless combo is thick.

• 9 years ago

As Juli said. You can also add some green peppers to paprikas (I like it that way) and for galuska, I prefer the batter made with sour cream, flour and eggs. But I must emphasize that lard or rendered bacon fat is much much better than any vegetable oil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.