Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Christians: Why would Jesus think of serpents as wise?

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Do you think he was trying to make a point or just ranting? What sayest thou?

Update:

Oh, much better answers this time.

Zeruel: Good point.

Mack: Good point.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Nanzi
    Lv 5
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

god had to punish and wipeout almost all of creation and after that didn't worked, he had to sacrifice himself to himself to "overwrite" the rules he himself made and forgive his own creation. ALL THIS, because of a simple 20 sec conversation between a woman and a snake!

don't you think the snake is wiser then god?

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I dont know the place you got that from... yet God can care much less if we get a school instruction or no longer. He purely needs us to be smart in making judgements that are Godly and for Him. The serpent interior the bible is evil. The serpent portrays the devil interior the Bible. yet no the place interior the bible does He say we would desire to have a school instruction as a fashion to we smart. He purely needs us to be smart whilst it is composed of sin and temptation. he needs us to get extra into him. whilst we do...we are able to have know-how. God will tutor you what he ability in case you ask Him.

• 9 years ago

wise: to be discerning

New International Version (©1984)

I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

shrewd: astute or sharp in practical matters; keen

International Standard Version (©2008)

"See, I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. So be as cunning as serpents and as innocent as doves.

cunning: artfully subtle or shrewd

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)

“Behold, I am sending you as lambs among wolves; be therefore crafty as snakes and innocent as doves.”

crafty: skillful: ingenious; dexterous

Darby Bible Translation

Behold, I send you as sheep in the midst of wolves; be therefore prudent as the serpents, and guileless as the doves.

prudent: wise or judicious in practical affairs; sagacious; discreet or circumspect; sober

Weymouth New Testament

"Remember it is I who am sending you out, as sheep into the midst of wolves; prove yourselves as sagacious as serpents, and as innocent as doves.

sagacious: having or showing acute mental discernment and keen practical sense

New World Translation (1984)

"Look! I am sending YOU forth as sheep amidst wolves; therefore prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves.

cautious: to show alertness and prudence in a hazardous situation or warning against danger or evil; care; wariness

So, obviously he was making a point for his followers to be keenly aware of their surroundings but not to act foolishly.

Source(s): the bible, the dictionary
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

There are four metaphors in that statement...you picked one of them.. He was making a comparison b/w one of the most efficient predators of nature, and a harmless dove..and if you do watch discovery its pretty obvious that snakes are cunning Sobs, who are really good at getting their prey...

Besides I think you are reading too much into a metaphor in a statement that had 4 metaphors in total.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Serpents usually shy away from humans so Jesus was advising his disciples to use wisdom in avoiding any situation that may lead to confrontation and trouble.

Hebrew scholar Ludwig Koehler commented: “The serpent is shy. This can be very well expressed in Greek with phronimos, for by this shyness or caution the serpent manifests possession and practice of phrenes.” Phre′nes here means a kind of instinctive wisdom that other animals also manifest.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

cuz he is bascially telling you to be sheep and do nothing when people are attacking you....and leaving it to the government to BABY YOU!

• 9 years ago

The serpent has been a symbol of hidden knowledge, life force, fertility and healing since antiquity; the Egyptians, Hindus, Mayans and Greeks have used the serpent as a symbol. Ever notice that some doctor's offices have a picture of a stick with a snake wrapped around it? That's because the mythical physician Hippocrates is known as the "serpent handler."

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

serpent are greater

• 9 years ago

It is what might be use of metaphor as to lend language a quality of beauty, like poetry.

• 9 years ago

I believe it has something to do with religion being fundamentally disconnected from reality.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

'jesus' was not an animal psychometrist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.