Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 years ago

freezer defrosted, can I eat this?

Ok, so I got some iceland ready meals, iceland chicken burgers and iceland battered fish fillets. Electric went about 11pm and defrosted the freezer, everything had thawed. I turned it back on about 9am everythings refrozen now. I've slung all the vegetables, they were like water. The thawing process would have taken about 5 hours? so the chicken and fish have only been thawed for a few hours. Is it alright to eat the chicken and fish?

Favorite Answer

From the United States Department of Agriculture:

Refreezing:

Once food is thawed in the refrigerator, it is safe to refreeze it without cooking, although there may be a loss of quality due to the moisture lost through thawing. After cooking raw foods which were previously frozen, it is safe to freeze the cooked foods. If previously cooked foods are thawed in the refrigerator, you may refreeze the unused portion. Freeze leftovers within 3-4 days. Do not refreeze any foods left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours; 1 hour in temperatures above 90 °F.

Scroll clear to the bottom...

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Focus_On_Freez...

Two summers ago, the fan blew out in my refrigerator/freezer while my family was away all day in 90* heat for my son's graduation party...

We were so exhausted upon returning home that I just put everything in the fridge without noticing that it was no longer working. Come morning, I made the discovery. Warm, stinking meats, vegetable dishes and desserts greeted me when that door was opened...

Everything was lost in both the refrigerator and freezer. About $400 worth of food, as I had just bought groceries.

If your electricity was out for only 10 hours in normal heat (not the stinking 90's plus) then I'd say you can safely follow the USDA's guidelines without worry. There may be some loss of food quality, but so long as everything was relatively cold, the food should be OK. Was it warm or cold when you checked it?

If the food was very warm, then I would follow the of rule of, "When in doubt, throw it out."

I am sorry for all of this. Having been in your shoes, it's a terrible mess and a heartbreaking hit, especially with food prices as they are.

Added:

Sil, here's a little more info from the same site. Use your best judgment concerning this food.

Power Outage in Freezer

If there is a power outage, the freezer fails, or if the freezer door has been left ajar by mistake, the food may still be safe to use if ice crystals remain. If the freezer has failed and a repairman is on the way, or it appears the power will be on soon, don't open the freezer door. If the freezer door was left ajar and the freezer continued to keep the food cold, the food should stay safe.

A freezer full of food will usually keep about 2 days if the door is kept shut; a half-full freezer will last about a day. The freezing compartment in a refrigerator may not keep foods frozen as long. If the freezer is not full, quickly group packages together so they will retain the cold more effectively. Separate meat and poultry items from other foods so if they begin to thaw, their juices won't drip onto other foods.

When the power is off, you may want to put dry ice, block ice, or bags of ice in the freezer or transfer foods to a friend's freezer until power is restored. Use an appliance thermometer to monitor the temperature.

To determine the safety of foods when the power goes on, check their condition and temperature. If food is partly frozen, still has ice crystals, or is as cold as if it were in a refrigerator (40 °F), it is safe to refreeze or use. It's not necessary to cook raw foods before refreezing. Discard foods that have been warmer than 40 °F for more than 2 hours. Discard any foods that have been contaminated by raw meat juices. Dispose of soft or melted ice cream for quality's sake.

Iceland Defrosted

Have you ever got a cat? If not borrow one from a neighbour. Defrost the bird and earlier than you make a decision whether or not to throw it away or prepare dinner it, present a bit of to the cat. Siamese are the most choosy, but if the cat turns it is nose up - bin the fowl.

People ate meats that were only salted before freezes, man the **** up and eat your food before i send my wife over to pussy whip you too