Oscar asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

What sort of exotic fish should I put in my pond?

My pond is 2 metres by 1 metre and 30 cm deep. There is plenty of duckweed cover and I feed them regularly. I already have 3 large goldfish, 5 small goldfish, 1 Shambuchen (not sure that's how you spell it), 1 small catfish and 1 blackmoor. I really want about three more fish. I was thinking about a koi, and I think I will get one, but I want something really exotic and colorful as well. Any recommendations?

• catx
    Favorite Answer

It sounds pretty well stocked and your pond is too small for Koi - which can get over 30cm tall so it wouldn't have anywhere to swim! Koi need ponds at least 1 metre deep 2 metres square.

If you don't live in a tropical region of the world, more exotic fish won't do very well anyway. And there are invasive species issues when putting exotic but coldwater fish in a pond where they could be picked up by predators, or flooded out, and end up in wild waterways.

p.s. it's spelt Shubunkin.

some exotic fish you cannot put in your pond because im guessing it isnt heated, some fish need special climate temperature