Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

what happens when you take a dogs puppies away from the mother?

my dog is giving birth and my brother took the babys to this little box because she keeps moving and we are scared she going too keep steping on them ..

9 Answers

Relevance
  • felker
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

you're so in contact via it that particularly than calling your mentor and describing the placement, you got here on Yahoo! solutions and desperate to ask a team of 13 twelve months olds for help? i'm no longer procuring this for one 2d. in case you had "bred many canines" in any sort of in charge vogue, you will possibly have considered this and you'd be conscious of precisely what to do based on your journey. the completed clutter has been considered via a vet via now, so as long through fact the puppy is nursing and being cared for, there is little to be bothered approximately, especialyl when you consider which you have the canines contained and in a heat ecosystem. If the puppy is failing to thrive, then as an experienced breeder, you would be conscious of while to step in to look after the puppy and foster it thus. ***BYB ALERT***

• Bob
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Keep them together..

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

This is a good idea, especially if she's a heavy (and somewhat clumsy) b itch. I've done this but you should have the box in the whelping area, so she knows where they are. And leave the puppies latched onto her teats as long as you can before the next delivery. The act of nursing will stimulate contractions. Obviously it's important for each puppy to have mum's first milk (colostrum) for immunity, so as soon as they are delivered they should be allowed to nurse before removing them.

And make sure the puppies removed from her are kept nice and warm - newborn puppies can't regulate their own heat, and can become chilled. So it's a good idea to use a warm (NOT HOT) water bottle covered by loads of towels in the bottom of the box. And cover the puppies too. Check they are not too hot in there however.

Add Common sense tells you that if having them removed is stressing the b itch unduly, this probably shouldn't be done. And it also depends on the b itch and how careful she is. Obviously getting them out from under is vital with a low-slung heavy breed like my Bassets! It may not be necessary with a light small b itch. Do this, depending on the individual situation. It doesn't have to be done, but again - common sense. The last thing you want to happen is for her to trample or sit on a newborn puppy in her exertions to produce the next one.

• 9 years ago

While she's delivering a puppy, the new whelps SHOULD be moved to a warming box and then placed back in with mom after the newest pup has been cleaned off. They should be weighed and marked during that time

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

well my dad bought a dog from some place near my cousins house.that puppy was probably 3 Weeks old but when i let the dog chew on my finger it would chew on my finger as it wanted to be breasts fed.i think just let the puppies be with its mother until they don't need to be beast fed (you would have too look for that)

• 9 years ago

Tell your brother to stop interfering and put the puppies back with their mother. She knows how to care for them far better than your brother does.

The mother will clean the puppies and they should be put on the teat, not taken away and put in a box somewhere.

Supervise the whelping to ensure the puppies are ok.

• 9 years ago

The puppies need to stay with their mother.

• 9 years ago

Dog have been haveing puppy's for thousands of years and they are pretty good mothers.

• JenVT
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Good breeders keep mom and pups confined to the whelping room so she can't carry them off. Put them in the whelping box with mom and either SHUT THE DOOR or put expens around the whelping box so she can't carry them off. It's not rocket science.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.