Aaron asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

How long does it take to make yourself throw up?

My girlfriend is bulimic. She's seeing a nutritionist and through all of this I've been trying to learn more about it. I'm just curious, how long does it take for someone that's been throwing up for a year to throw up? I know it's difficult the first few times but how long after you've been doing it for a long time? Thanks

• Nina
    Favorite Answer

Seconds, if you know what you're doing.

I personally can throw up just by contracting my stomach muscles, and it'll take maybe 10 seconds. If I shove something down my throat, immediately.

I've been doing it for years and I have it down to a science. :l

You can permanently damage both your esophagus and your stomach. The acid from your stomach coming through your esophagus is very harmful to your tissues. You can also encounter severe dental problems because the acid can eat the enamel on your teeth and cause cavities. The most severe side effects include dehydration, pancreatitis, and tears in the lining of your esophagus. Overall, its very dangerous.

It depends

If you have been doing it for ages, then it would be a matter of seconds.

If your new to it : You have to lebricate your throat with water and then try it could take a while!

Source(s): I do it when i eat something fatty or un healthy :) xx

I'm not bulimic, but I generally cure heartburn or "I drank too much" by inducing vomiting. Chugging a couple quarts of water and then shoving your finger down your throat will pretty much always induce vomiting immediately.

Short answer: anybody experienced with this sort of thing for whatever reason can make themselves puke in a matter of seconds.

• ChiMom

Seconds. People who have been purging and binging have it down to a science, unfortunately.

Poke the back of your throat.. i think the respose time is close to. 837 secondz

A dietitian* A nutritionist does not have a degree.

It depends on how well the individual lubricates the passageway with liquids- it can take minutes, it can take dozens.