How do I find a place to rent in Frankfurt, Germany, without using a real estate agent?

I'm moving to Frankfurt at the start of July, and need to find somewhere to rent by mid August. Most of the sites I've looked on have almost exclusively listings by real estate agents. I can't afford(or justify) to pay up to 3,000 just for the real estate agents fee. I really find it a bizarre system and have no idea how they justify it. I'd be interested to know if anyone has an explanation, because it seems like something that is fairly unique to Germany.

I'm looking for a place with at least 2 bedrooms either in the city or in Oberursel, so looking in places like craigslist, where it seems possible to find at least a room, haven't been helpful. Does anyone know of any sites where real estate agents aren't allowed to list, or any other methods? I plan to get the newspaper on Friday but my German is still very basic and I'm not sure if this is going to be very successful.

• Juana
    Favorite Answer

Put an ad in the newspaper yourself and then discard offers from real estate agents (if you get any). Believe me, it's worth it. Many landlords do not advertise themselves because they do not want hordes of people trampling through their flats.

Real Estate Frankfurt Germany

2

Source(s): Rent To Own Home - http://renttoownhome.iukiy.com/?JHqY

Frankfurt is a powerful and international financial and business fair town most abundant in imposing skyline in Germany and is one of the areas that you might want to see, a minumum of one time and that place hotelbye can help you. Frankfurt is a city in one's heart of Germany and Europe and is just a city that may present many facets and diverse variety. In one's heart of Frankfurt's Old Town you will see a place properly worthwhile, the Römerberg.The Römerberg is an irregularly formed square with the Justice Fountain at their center. Not merely could it be Frankfurt's many picturesque public square, oahu is the city's busiest pedestrian region, house to varied tourist attractions from their many Kulturschirn (a kind of open-fronted shop when popular through the old town) to the Römer, a sophisticated of 11 wonderful old buildings from the 15th to 18th generations that include the Old Town Hall with its Imperial Hall, when the scene of striking banquets. Different notable structures are the New Town Hall, the 14th-century Gothic Church of St. Leonhard, and St. Nicholas Church, significant for the carillon.

• Jens

The others already gave you good answers, i found my flat at immobilienscout24.de

The system in which the prospect tenant has to pay the agent indeed is totally messed up.

Anyway, also consider towns a bit further out. The rents can go down a lot when you come to places that aren't connected to franfurt by train. E.g. Rosbach or Rodheim. Of course, this would mean that you'd have to depend on a car to get to Frankfurt and might lengthen your commute.

Source(s): I live in Bad Nauheim (25km from Frankfurt) and work in Oberursel

You should be able to incorporate the terms into a lease agreement. Be clear about how much rent is going toward the down payment and how long they have to make their move. You will also have to factor in what if they decide to just rent and you have someone who wants to buy later. Real estate laws vary state to state, you might want to get a real estate attorney to help you with a contract so you know you are within the state laws for your area.

Check the News Papers in Frankfurt or place an add. You also could check out Graigslist Germany.

• Petra

Well the explanation is easy: Supply and demand.

You will find some places that are not rented through a real estate agent, but by private landlords. In that case, there's no fee - but there will be a lot of competition for the place! And often, these type of flats are second-rate for one reason or the other.

You could have a look at http://www.wg-gesucht.de/ where students rent out their place when they don't need it. There will not be many 2-bedroom-flats though.

And of course you can try to find something for which you don't have to pay a commission ("provisionsfrei") via http://www.immobilienscout24.de/ or http://www.immonet.de/

Better take what you can get while you can get it. Frankfurt may not be quite as bad as Munich, but I've been told that finding a place has become a nightmare there, too.

Newspapers and german internet services like immobilienscout24.de are your friend.