How do children with disabilities get along with their brothers and sisters?

Favorite Answer

That's rather like asking how do children relate to buses. Children are all different. I know my husband was a protective of his brother, when others bullied him. I know he was the one responsible for getting his brother home after school. (His brother had a generative brain quirk, that slowly caused him to lose muscles. It's related to genetic embolisms, but instead of bursting and killing him immediately, it slowly caused him to lose mobility, so hubby pushed him home in his wheelchair. Whether the embolism killed him immediately or it slowly killed him, he was never going to see 20, according to doctors, but he lived until 22.) I know they loved to talk together and spend time together, and I know the brother was the only child of six that wasn't abused by the parents.

Now my aunt - my mom's sister was mentally disabled. Same deal, minus the wheelchair. My mom got into a few fights defending her sister. My aunt was treated like anyone else in the family, even by us kids. I didn't even know she was mental disabled, until I hit 10 and realized something was off. That's when we hit the same mental age. I never asked, but figured it out two years later, when it was obvious I could understand easier than she could. Still, she was just another aunt. I liked her though. She had more time to spend with us kids, and she loved watching us where parents insisted we had to be watched - like when we went into the ocean, or at the pool, or down to the dock.

But, that's just the story of three kids. Who knows what all of them are like?

What do you mean? It depends on the siblings and the person with the disability themselves. Many siblings are willing to accommodate their disabled brother/sister but some may feel awkward with their disabled member of their family in public but others won't even care.

Source(s): Deaf.
  • bible

considering the fact that your son is disabled, have you ever known into state funded structures that help mom and father with disabled young ones? How approximately WIC or foodstamps? I understand that this quite helps to ease the burden. I desire on your sake and the sake of your toddlers Indiana could have a utility for you. you will desire to look and look and look and ask, ask, ask, do no longer end. i'm unhappy that the father left and that he did no longer very own as much as his responsiblity as a father, what a coward. God gave you your son for a reason, now some element that reason is you will now no longer understand. i've got self assurance as whether he supplies us those angels to look what we will do with them. do no longer end, pursue until finally you get suggestions. IF now no longer probable you would be waiting to take up some older toddlers to hold (babysit)until finally you get returned to your ft probable some that are the age of your older one in order that that they are waiting to hold her entertained, it somewhat is a properly strategies-set to make some trustworthy added funds. stable success and GoD BLESS!

That's like asking how do able bodied people get along with their siblings. It really all depends.

When I was growing up, I was an embarrassment to my family because of my disabilities. As we grew up, we grew up hating each other because of it.

As far as getting along with each other as we were growing up, we simply tolerated each other and nothing more.

• E. M

I don't have a family member who is disabled but used to work with disabled people. I think that, today, we are all more enlightened and know that, when humanly possible, able bodies members of a family or school or church etc. should endeavour to make activities, mealtimes etc. suitable for everyone to take part together thus not leaving anyone feeling different or abandoned.

This did not used to be the case we know but I do think that, within families now, siblings all help each other and especially their less abled sibling and, because of this involvement, they grow closer and do get on with each other.

Hi Alley,

My story isn't as cheery as Lynns, lol But the driving point is, it all depends. It depends how the other children are raised by the parents as well.

My mom destroyed her kids emotionally. Which meant the one who was disabled caught the wind fall of their frustrations, and anything bad, was always the fault of the disabled one.

So the moral to this comment is, It all depends.

Some do some don't. They are people too

no

their brothers and sisters are embarrassed to be seen with the disabled child in public. also, when the disable child is bullied in school, the brothers and sisters don't step up to their aid.