Why is soccer/"football" much bigger in europe and latin america than it is in the usa?

I always wondered about this...the best teams in the world cup tend to be brazil, argentina, spain, and the netherlands...you dont see the us make the list for the best teams as the us tends to be knocked out early in the world cup

• BoB
    Favorite Answer

Personally I think its because of the large success of North American sports, like Baseball, Yankie Doodle Hand-Egg (Sorry, American 'Football') Basketball and Ice Hokey (I'm counting North America as the continent so I'm including Canada).

If I was to generalise...

These sports have such are large fan base that there is not really enough 'room' for football.

Their are also large differences in the basics of the sports which I think a lot of Americans don't "get", for instance the low scores, 0-0, 1-0, 1-1, 2-0, 2-1 are the norm for football, Americans (and European women) don't seem to find this interesting.

Also the lack of statistics, I watch Yankee Doodle Hand Egg (sorry) and have always been amazed by how much you guys love a good stat,

"In the last 3 meetings between these two teams on a Sunday the home teams Quarterback has thrown on average 200 yards in the 3rd quarter while wearing blue socks"

In football they are starting to bring that in, but nobody really pays attention to it, apart from goals scored, I don't think I have ever had a football conversation that ever quoted a players tackle rate, unless it went something like "Paul Scholes can't tackle for *****", let alone % pass rate, if I mentioned that Gerrard ran x amount of metres in a game I would get looked at odd, "He ran a lot" is the right phrase.

Americans are also not that good at football, (because its not that big) so you don't like it, you guys have the 'World Series' of baseball, played between teams just from North America! Baseball, Basket Ball & Hand-Egg (not so much Ice Hokey) are almost exclusively North American, football is worldwide, and you don't like to see other countries beat you at things.

But the main reason football never "kicked off" (see what I did there?) is because when the founding fathers left for America 'Football' was being banned around Europe and was looked down on as being extremely violent (this is before they came up with 'rules' like number of players or if you can punch someone in the face).

I don't think it was that popular with the Puritan movement, so they adopted Native sports or came up with their own.

British phrases for American Football explained.

Yankie Doodle Hand Egg -

This stems from the fact its played mainly with your Hands, and the ball is Egg Shaped (we call Rugby players 'Egg Chasers') a reaction to the fact you guys refer to this sport as "Football",including the phrase "Yankie Doodle" is quite funny as the name sounds quintessentially British (see http://i.imgur.com/EBZze.jpg), Yankie = American, yeah I know if your from the South you don't like it, but I bet you call all British people 'English'.

Edit - to the other comments, its 90 mins long, not 4 hours,

Deon Sanders would not be able to keep up with Football players as

1) Football is a fast flowing game over a short amount of time, most wingers can do 100 meters in 10 secs WHILE controlling a football, and are expected to do this for 45 mins without a rest.

2) you only have one rest in football, not 4, you also don't stop and swap players every time the other team gets the ball, its much more intensive, thats why football players they keep having heart attacks.

3) You have to control the ball with your feet, not with your hands, maybe he should try Rugby

4) he is retired.

Source(s): British. And if you think thats long winded, wait till I tell you about Cricket...

Because the best athletes in the US play football, basketball or baseball

starting from a young age

Just look at women's soccer, since women have fewer sports, more of the best women athletes play soccer

and the US women dominate women's soccer

2. Now if the best make athletes in the US all played soccer

then the US would dominate world cup

can you imagine athletes like Deon Sanders or Chris Johnson playing soccer

They would be faster than any other soccer player, and they are far larger and stronger too

culture, deeeerh

I have no idea why the " sport " is big at all.....anywhere

As an American who loves baseball I think that watching soccer is about as exciting as watching oil paint dry on a hot humid summer day in Miami

• Jack

Tradition I guess. No one knows why it is like that. It just is.

Different cultures have different tastes. USA likes baseball, basketball and football (American). New Zealand and Australia like rugby. England, Brazil, Argentina, etc like soccer. Canada likes hockey...etc

Yeah..not 3-4 hours. More like 90mins. That makes an hour and a half.

Have you ever watched a soccer game?

It's mind-numbingly slow and boring.

You can go an entire game (yes, an ENTIRE game!) without scoring a single point!

That's 3 to 4 hours of your life wasted --- on nothing!

Source(s): American