Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

What exactly is money? Why work to live?

For most of my life I never understood the concept of money. I get into the conversation about money with friends and family and they never seem to understand exactly what I am asking. Either they think I am not smart enough or asking the questions because I am lazy and don't want to work (even though I'm disabled).

One of the things mentioned is that if we didn't have money then people would be given vouchers instead; Vouchers for food, and other essentials. To me, that seems like you just changed the shape of money and now it works slightly differently since you're working for food anyway.

One of the answers I often receive about the need to work is that "we need money so we can eat, have a roof on our heads, and pay bills". To me, that's the equivalent of saying that Egyptians needed to build the pyramid so they can eat, have shelter, and pay for goods and services. Why the need for the pyramid? One must serve to build the pyramid for monetary retribution. That is no different that what we do now.

In exchange for being allowed to live, one must take on a job in society and that this job for one reason or another get's reimbursed with a note that society more or less decided how many of such and such is worth this many notes. Some jobs offers more of these notes which in exchange offers a bigger home, more food, more goods, more services, and of course the right to live. The right to live is the exchange rate for having a job. One more exchange is social approval and the right to have friendships.

What about those that do not feel comfortable building the symbolic pyramids? Some gain more retribution for certain jobs. One who works for an advertising company selling Fruit Loops would get many retributions since society for one reason or another decided that this one working to sell fruit loops deserves to live and to live using more resources; either people, goods or shelter. On the other side, one who refuses to send out more Fruit Loops into the world may not be afforded these same retributions.

The one refusing to 'contribute' to society in these ways are forced to either remain on government assistance, which is hardly enough to live since the retribution requirements are higher for shelter than one is given. Therefore, you can say that these ones are not given the right to live or to have liberty or freedom unless these ones participate adequately as in the case of the advertiser for Fruit Loops.

If I could, I would work towards something that the world really needed. People don't really need fruit loops, but if they want it then no one is stopping them from making it. It's just tiring that one is being looked down on for feeling zero motivation towards these end goals enough to receive these retributions.

It seems altogether lob-sided. Some tribes in the world work very little and when they work, they work towards things that truly matters. They fulfill community needs such as food, shelter, protection, and general needs such as caring for the elderly in the community. These jobs are carried out by anyone who can help and responsibilities are spread out.

I do not support communism since I believe it would only be another side on the same coin since it works on a founded state and not based on genuine concerns and needs of the community.

If I had important reasons for works, and if I could, I would be more than willing to contribute. But I for one think Fruit Loops and Cigarettes or Pyramids or notes as being necessary for life. What's worse is that many work most of the time for bigger homes, more goods, only to have a sigificant less time to enjoy them when they could.

What can some say about this that may make me feel less Nihilistic towards work and money?

img: Ty, but I don't think those verses are really driving at the heart of my question. I don't abhor work. I abhor the system of things. I hate the discrepancies within it. Also, the Bible has also stated this:

"They will throw their money in the streets, tossing it out like worthless trash. Their silver and gold won't save them on that day of the LORD's anger. It will neither satisfy nor feed them, for their greed can only trip them up." Ez 7:19

Curtis: "You are not 'allowed' to live, because your life cannot be taken from you." Sure it can. One needs money to eat and have a home. If you don't do these things, you become homeless hoping people give you notes so that you can eat and that's if you're lucky.

Cutis: I'll check out your link.

Ryan: Thank you for the time you spent writing that. I know greed is apart of the issue it's just that I don't feel people are that greedy. Also, why would one gain more than another cause they sell cocoa puffs?

hoovarte: Actually I am 28 and on disability. I have an autoimmune disorder and a mood disorder.

Curtis: Sorry, forgot to say ty :)

Favorite Answer

The answer to 'what is money' is longer than your question, but here it is.

http://www.working-minds.com/money.htm

You wrote, "In exchange for being allowed to live, one must take on a job in society and that this job for one reason or another get's reimbursed with a note that society more or less decided how many of such and such is worth this many notes."

You are not 'allowed' to live, because your life cannot be taken from you. Work is the only honest way to make a living, but you don't have to work for others. 'Taking a job' is for those who cannot create one, but the very small businessmen and women create because they love to--or because they don't want to 'take' a job.

Society doesn't decide how much something is worth, the buyers do. They 'vote with their feet', the old expression that means you 'go to buy' or you 'stay away'. Why do you think the price of calculators fell from $1000 when they first came out in the 1960s, to a few $ today? Because so many people bought electronics, the prices fell. Now a hand held device that takes pictures and movies, uploads to You Tube or Facebook, has apps for everything, fulfills the role of the TV-phone we dreamed about for years and has GPS in it, both for finding and for being found, is more powerful by hundreds of 1000s of times than the first home computers, and are priced so nearly everyone has one, of one sort of another.

Read the link. It might make you feel better about money--and about societies use of it.

Maybe I shouldn't answer this because all I can think of is how can we expect a balanced world when we are living in total imbalance? I notice that people equate money to love. Love of their fellow man even. They equate it to happiness and peace. That is like saying a bird is really a cat. It is a lie. There are many lies that people are under. Also, another one: "freedom". What is freedom? People love to get all passionate about it and say that being an American means we have all sorts of freedoms. Is that the case? We have advantages over third world countries, naturally. But, think about it. Everyone is a slave in one form or another. You could be the most politically involved person on earth and really, would you achieve all that you desire for yourself, your loved ones and the whole world? NO! Just a couple simple scriptures can sum up what I am telling you:

We know we originate with God, but the whole world is lying in the [power of the] wicked one. 1 John 5:19

If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. 2 Cor. 4:3, 4

The "good news" is this: the earth will become a Peaceful Paradise where everything will be in balance. In fact, those that are willing to subject themselves, will be able to in time become perfect. The thing is, it will take 1,000 years. That is not under man's rule nor could it ever be. It is under Christ's and is mentioned at Daniel 2:44

Let me guess.....

You live at home and your parents take care of you.

You're sort of lazy and don't want to work.

You really don't have many marketable skills.

I think I understand where you're coming from!

(These are rhetorical questions that you need to ask yourself)

I think, Money is NOT, Just, the TRADING NOTES, It is the ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of the "EXCHANGE MATERIAL'' of the SERVICES, Which is Benefited by the HUMANS and the NATURE Itself.

Well, I'm afraid I don't understand the second part of your question as much as the first, but I'll give it a shot.

The way I see it, money is just a symbol for all of the resources man owns. Money is a trade item, an item that can be used to buy a great variety of material goods and specialized services. Man must have something in return for what he gives, after all. I think your question here is asking why that is.

To that, I give this example. Say there was a small tribe of humans on an isolated island. There's a human who specializes in farming, one that specializes in building houses, another with boats, another with finding good water, etc. Your question is asking why the farmers can't just yield up their harvest without asking for anything but the services of all the other villagers, correct? The question asks why we must have a measurable object of trade, instead of handing out food, knowing that the builders will readily build to the best of their ability for the farmers in return, etc., correct?

My answer to that question is that somewhere across the line, the farmer got greedy, or the builder got lazy and demanded that they receive more for their work. The farmer then got selfish, and they both turned out to need some reliable way to manage who they could support one another, and thus, trade was born. Trade with items such as cows in return for houses got difficult to keep track of/determine the value of, so prices were assigned to each material and money was born.

I'm not sure how historically accurate the last part is, but I hope you get the gist of my scenario: it's not in human nature to be cooperative, and this produces the need for humans to measure the resources they dish out and return, because of their natural habit of reserving things for themselves whenever possible.

I hope I explained that all right so far.

It's not that hard for me to see, in my mind, how seemingly useless things like Fruit Loops and cigarettes came to be, using this logic. One day, man realized that it didn't HAVE to produce anything necessarily imperative for human life, like edible plants or houses. No, with the currency system, value is placed not on how the currency is obtained, but how much currency there is in question. Therefore, man can earn currency by making Fruit Loops, or being a comedian, or even testing video games, because they are paid currency to do this.

It's confusing to me, as well, and I was kind of disgusted when I realized that man's nature is that selfish, and that we've twisted and corrupted the system of cooperation into trade, and trade into currency. And, seeing as I'm 16 and have little experience with actual currency (haha....), I may be wrong. But those are my views, and I hope you find them satisfying.

Source(s): Completely original, dreampt up as I've stared apathetically at my ceiling from my bed.

I guess it is a case of finding what really matters to you.

Ecc 2:24 The best thing we can do is to enjoy eating, drinking, and working. I believe these are God's gifts to us,

THAT IS BEFORE JESUS..

all the lifetimes before that are preparation for something greater

till such time where

Gal 3:22 But the Scriptures say that sin controls everyone, so that God's promises will be for anyone who has faith in Jesus Christ.

Gal 3:23 The Law controlled us and kept us under its power until the time came when we would have faith.

Gal 3:24 In fact, the Law was our teacher. It was supposed to teach us until we had faith and were acceptable to God.

Gal 3:25 But once a person has learned to have faith, there is no more need to have the Law as a teacher.

Gal 3:26 All of you are God's children because of your faith in Christ Jesus.

Gal 3:27 And when you were baptized, it was as though you had put on Christ in the same way you put on new clothes.

Gal 3:28 Faith in Christ Jesus is what makes each of you equal with each other, whether you are a Jew or a Greek, a slave or a free person, a man or a woman.

Gal 3:29 So if you belong to Christ, you are now part of Abraham's family, and you will be given what God has promised.