BigZ asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

Is Barry Lyndon Kubrick's most underrated film?

Subtle satirical tone while managing to still be dramatically epic. And the score. Who can forget that beautiful score?

@trust me I'm a film maker, you make a good point. I feel as though Eyes Wide Shut is also very underrated. It tells a bit of truth as well.

@Liam, I tend to agree. I may have overlooked that one.

• Favorite Answer

Definitely an underrated masterpiece and my favourite movie of his. With Eyes Wide Shut, I can't decide if I like that movie or not. Maybe it's just me? But I've always felt that Eyes Wide Shut was more widely misunderstood because of its ambiguity, so I wouldn't really say it was underrated (in the sense hardly anyone's seen it or talks about it)-- it's just not rated very highly by audiences.

I found it a very laborious movie in many ways. We expected something highly sexual, instead we got a movie about sexuality itself, or perhaps the dangers of sexuality. I dunno, it’s about a lot of things, but it was far less ‘commercial’ than Kubrick’s previous two outings, which walked a stunning line between appealing to a huge audience and also making insightful statements. But if you think about it, when Eyes Wide Shut came out a few months after Stanley Kubrick’s death in 1999, it was severely misunderstood, which came as no surprise. If you go back and look at the contemporary reactions to any Kubrick picture (except the earliest ones), you’ll see that all his films were initially misunderstood. Then, after five or ten years came the realization that 2001 or Barry Lyndon or The Shining was like nothing else before or since.

Personally I think it’s way more substantive than Stalker, though lacking the poetic touch that Tarkovsky has. Honestly, the film reminds me of Antonioni more than anything, things unfold in a bumbling, random way that feels almost magical. But the film does so many different things well. It can do the whole sumptuous Ophuls thing like at Ziegler’s Party, it can do sort of Bergmany stuff like the bedroom argument. Such a serious movie, yet it has such great comedic moments, like when Millich catches his daughter or that gang of preppies in the street. It's one damn interesting film and definitely talked about a lot because it left people scratching their heads...

I'll still stand by Barry Lyndon being his most underrated film though, I always feel it's hardly ever mentioned or discussed so it feels like one of his "hidden gems". Well to me, anyways...

• \Liam\

Barry Lyndon is a masterpiece. But I agree with Trust me I'm a film maker, in saying that Eyes Wide Shut is his most underrated film. I think it deserves much higher than 7.2 on IMDB

:)

• I would think so, but I hear less about Eyes Wide Shut. Barry Lyndon gets a lot of attention from critics and film books, but I've only seen Eyes Wide Shut a few places since it's release. Some seem to love it, others seem to hate it.

Source(s): Filmmaker and Critic