Kanye East asked in SportsBasketball · 9 years ago

Do you think the Lakers need a new coach if they want to win another title?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Unless they get someone like Jerry Sloan or Larry Brown --coaches with authority and are not afraid to coach-- any coach they get would be nothing more than a puppet controlled by Kobe . It's that simple . Yes they need a new coach (because obviously the situation they're in isn't working out) but they need the right coach. And I know people are gonna say that the reason why they lost is because of Gasol and/or Bynum , but here's the thing: any GREAT coach (your Sloans, your Larry Browns, etc.) would be able to find a way to make things work with those players . They have the talent and the ability , they just lack the chemistry and that falls on the coach for failing to make things work . And as long as they don't have one of those GREAT coaches , I don't see it ever working .

• 9 years ago

Yes he needs to go. The Lakers needs a stronger coach who has experience just like our Phil Jackson.

• 9 years ago

It's not Brown's fault that the Lakers have no depth. It's not his fault that Pau isn't aggressive or that Kobe is a ballhog or that Bynum is an immature nitwit. He's doing the best he can with what he has. They're the 3rd or 4th best team in the west and they played like it.

• 9 years ago

funny because i tweeded the same thing during the lakers-okc series...the lakers need a coach who can keep the players' egos in check...the reason why the lakers won a lot of titles under phil was because phil was an excellent leader who commanded plenty of respect from the players and therefore players were more likely to listen to him

the lakers under mike brown are nowhere the same...the man is unable to command the team...instead, it seems divided between him and kobe...during the jackson era(at least after he came back), kobe actually let phil lead the team

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Last season wasn't really a fair test. Brown took over from the best coach in the history of the league, and because of the lockout he had very little chance to put in his own system, or teach his players how he wanted them to play. No offseason minicamps, an abbreviated preseason, and then the compacted regular season which didn't give much time for in-season adjustments.

I'd give the guy another year at least. I'm not saying he'll be successful, he's got to deal with the declining talents and still huge ego of Kobe Bryant. But he deserves a chance, and I don't know of anyone else who could do better.

• Duke
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

God yes, Brown is awful. His offense is terrible and his rotations were questionable at best. He took Pau completely out of the game and now all the dumbass fans around here think Pau is soft and has to go. Pau should be the focal point of the offense. He's a threat from basically anywhere on the floor, can pass really well and for the most part takes care of the ball because he's a smart player.

But now Pau is going to be traded and the Lakers aren't going to get **** for him in return, and it's all Brown's fault. Well, Sterns fault too, ******* CP3 deal nixed, what a joke.

• Alex
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Mike Brown sucks that's why players don't listen to him.. I miss Phil Jackson because he discipline all the players.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

it was a stupid signing in the first place every laker fan was dissapointed in signing him i did like the fact that he is a defensive minded coach and lakers did play good defense this year but they shouldnt of oicked him up this the lakers not the wizards or bobcats

• Yogi-D
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

No

Mike Brown CAN get it done, but he needs a pre-season to get the team trained to his system. The players kept trying to default to playing the triangle when things went bad because it's what they know, but it didn't work with the plays that they ran. They need a season to learn Browns offense so he has a chance to prove himself. He took the Cavs to the finals, think what he could have done IF he actually had a complete team instead of just Lebron.

• richie
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Yes I do.

I don't like Mike Brown's style or system (or lack of it). He can't motivate his big name players. I think the Lakers need a coach with a stronger personality who the players can trust absolutely.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.