Only interested in the army, is that weird?

Hey folks,

I'm 16, almost 17 right now, a boy and all my friends have at least one girlfriend in their life, or some kind of close girlfriend. I never had one, and frankly, I'm not planned to get one. I'm only interested in the army and going for a full career. Without a family, being deployed with my comrades-in-arms.

I already have this idea since I was 5, and this idea went bigger and more serious. I always wanted to join the army, even after 12 years. Is it weird that I don't want a girlfriend or wife and that I only want to serve?

Greetings.

Favorite Answer

It's nice that you're open-minded enough to question yourself, but there isn't necessarily anything weird about being focused on a goal other than the opposite sex. Professional athletes, musicians, scientists... lots of very successful people were too focused to go skirt-chasing.

BUT since you're being open-minded, consider the following as well:

1. How you feel today may not be how you feel in a year. Don't be surprised if, upon achieving your initial goal, you refocus and find yourself interested in the next thing, which may or may not be a family. Most people in the military actually do have families, as a matter of fact, and the VAST majority do by the time they retire.

2. Don't idealize life in the Army. It isn't just the cool scenes in the Hollywood movies. I tried to convince my nephew, who was all stoked after watching Saving Private Ryan, that most of Army life is pretty damn dull and dreary. It's following orders you don't necessarily agree with, lots of waiting around ("hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait"), lots of polishing boots, folding clothes, cleaning rooms for inspections, enduring uncomfortable conditions all while surrounded by "comrades-in-arms" who regret joining and ***** constantly, and will in fact put you down and make fun of you if you like being in. My nephew was sent to the storied 101st Airborne and went AWOL before he even lasted a year -- due to boredom, not challenge -- and thereby got thrown out with an OTH discharge that keeps him from better employment to this day. SO, I'm not saying the Army sucks, just keep your mind open to all kinds of information and be aware that ANY military career involves dealing with a WHOLE lot of BS. I highly recommend talking to actual people your own age who are currently serving before making up your mind.

Source(s): Recently went over 20 years in the military -- still on active duty! But I would counsel anyone to go in knowing what they are getting into, same as I would any long-term contract.

It's not weird that you don't aspire to having a girlfriend/wife. A lot of people don't aspire to that.

What you want to do in life is join the army, that's not weird either.

but I've never heard of somebody not wanting a girlfriend/wife because they want to join the army.

Nope that is not weird at all. It just means you have different priorities to your friends. It doesn't mean you are "weird" or anything. I say good for you for wanting a career and everything else first.

Go for gold.

not really

you're focused on doing something worth while in life. That's great! I wish you the best of luck. You have plenty of time to change your mind or whatever later on

Source(s): SSgt USAF