Can Meclozine safely be taken as an anti-nausea medication during vigorous exercise?

I occasionally run marathons, but extreme nausea during the race often makes me unable to consume sports drinks or even water, and certainly impairs my race performance! I would consider taking an anti-nausea drug shortly before a race, but am wondering if dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, and other effects of prolonged exercise could interact poorly with this type of drug.

Incidently, I only have this problem during races, not during training runs. While training I can drink gallons of gatorade and generally do not get nauseous, even when running at race pace. During a race, I start turning green as soon as I hear the race volunteer shout "Gatorade!".

Keywords: Mecloziine, anti-nausea, marathon, drug, sports, athletics, running, pharmacology, pharmacist

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's curious that you *only* experience this extreme nausea during an actual race, not during training run, when there is certainly less stress and pressure.

Perhaps you need to address some underlying anxiety?

Meclizine is typically used as an anti-vertigo med, not for nausea.

Have you tried the gels out there, too?

Source(s): Occupational Therapist in a hospital
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.