Basics of learning/trying to draw?

I really want to be a good drawer. I've loved art for all of my life, I can draw ok, but not that well. Can anyone tell me any tips on learning how to draw or the basics of learning? My shyness stops me from going to any classes to learn.

thanks...

Favorite Answer

Well everyone says I'm a great drawer and I have learned a few things while I draw.

1) use pictures for reference they always seem to help with the part you are struggling with

2) only draw the what you think looks good. Everything else can be left alone.

3) Add detail. In my opinion, everything looks better with details.

4) only draw things that you want to draw. You can never be a good artist when you are drawing something that isn't fun

That's really all the tips I hac. Put them to good use!

Depends really on what type of drawing you're wanting to do, I'd say. First, and most importantly though, draw from observation. Still lives might be a bit boring, but they'll help you to see the shape and form of something, so that you can imagine more clearly and draw what you see in your head better. Set up something interesting to draw, go outside, draw people. Once you can draw the correct shapes and forms, start in with some shading, look at the shapes the shading is in. Look at your drawing, does the shading you've done correctly render the item? And also, make sure you know about perspective, line quality and composition to make successful, finished and correct drawings. Good luck and have fun!

I was shy to go to classes to but after the first few its really fun and you get better very quickly and you could buy drawing books but the first thing that i really learnt to draw from was a still life so make one spend a little time on it everyday and numerous styles of drawings of it e.g pencil, sketch, line drawing, shaded, charcol..... just keep practising!!!

Well, the basics are very boring, but they really help. I never went to classes (expect when I was still in compulsory education), so it's not necessary to learn art in a classroom. Just so long as you make time away from your life to have a quiet sit down and practice as much as possible, you'll fine improvement.

Basics: anatomy, perspective (and foreshortening), proportions, shading/ value and light souce, colour theory, experimenting with mediums (i.e. pencils, paint, just find which is most comfortable.)

There's probably more that I haven't thought of. Depending what you want to draw, it may help you to look into more specific tutorials (online or in books.) I.e. if drawing people, anatomy is a must (even if you only learn the basics) but also look into drawing and shading hair, for example, or folds in clothing. IT won't be perfect first few times around, but that's what practice is for: refining and honing your artistic skill.

Drawing from life is the quickest, yet hardest, way of learning to draw. If you're a little hesitant at first, just try working from photos and images, making good use of gridlines and guidelines to help until you feel more confident to try drawing from life. If you ever find yourself getting frustrated (i.e. not progressing as fast as you'd initially hoped) don't give up. Either leave drawing be for a day or two and go back to after, or just doodle aimlessly to help you. Perhaps even personify your frustration?

I've started a blog this year about drawing. Come and check it out. I am sure it will be of help.

I'm an introvert myself too. That's why we draw! =).

-Wei

http://www.artofwei.com/