Why does my modem/router keep disconnecting?

I'm not sure which one it is exactly that is disconnecting but it is honestly really annoying. If I'm lucky it will happen more than 3 times in a span of 2 hours. Some days, it doesn't even disconnect, but when it does, all devices(ipods, ipads, laptops, etc.) lose internet connection and we have to unplug both the router and the modem and plug them back in to reset the internet. How can this be fixed?

We have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Only two possibilities. Either the router or your line. Call the ISp get them to change the router, if still the same problem call the phone company and they can test the line.

One other thing make sure the router is in the master socket and not connected via an extension, and you have Broadband filters connected.

One more possibility there could be radio interference, change the router first to rule out the latter.

Source(s): mcsa, ccna
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Belkins are understand to have problems. seem at your instruction manual and locate out the thank you to do updates on your Belkin. If there are patches and fixes for it, it may restoration the subject. additionally, once you utilize the 2d pc, examine for the IP handle and verify that is not any longer a similar by way of fact the different. to try this, go into command on the spot (dos mode) and form ipconfig, seem for the ip handle and write it down, do a similar for the 2d pc, in the event that they're a similar, you will possibly be able to desire to alter them. i factors you extra information, yet first examine for replace (firmware) on your router.

• Honey
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Contact your ISP and verify whether they are currently having any issues. Some ISPs disconnect you from the network if they don't see any traffic for a specific period of time

• mike H
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

could be the hotter weather causing it to overheat, i had the same problem with a Belkin a few years back, fine when cold, restarting all the time when hot, feel how hot its getting.

You can see if there are any firmware updates around that would make a difference, but i had to replace mine in the end.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Try calling your ISP

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.