What would happen if I close my account with wells fargo and I have an overdraft fee?

This might be a dumb question but I got 3 over draft fees I didn't buy anything big maybe like $6 the most on two things but they ended up charging me $35 for each so now the Wells Fargo bank says I have an over draft fee of $140.6. I was wondering what would happen if I just close the accounts with out paying the money?

I don't have any current money on the accounts so can they do anything to me if I just close them?

Favorite Answer

They won't let you close the account if it is in the negative. To officially close it and have it in good standing, you would need to deposit what you owe and close it at a zero balance. If you choose to let it go, the bank may impose more fees -- like daily sustained overdraft fees which can add up fast. You could opt to leave it overdrawn and not pay it. In that case the bank would charge it off, report it to chexsystems and send the balance to collections. This would adversely affect your credit. When they send the info to chexsystems, it will most likely prevent you from opening an account at another bank.

Source(s): Bank Manager

I'm attempting to figure out if BoA closed your account or Wells Fargo closed your BoA account or did Wells Fargo shut the Wells Fargo account. In different words who is they closed your account and which one? In case your BoA account is still open then you do not need to worry about opening a financial institution account you have already got one. You still ought to pay the overdraft charges. As one other character stated collections groups lie and can say something to get cash. I might see if Wells Fargo will be given your money rather of the collection company. Call Wells Fargo once more and ask have them provide an explanation for how this works with getting a brand new financial institution account.

They can put your fees into collections which can affect your credit. And most banks won't let you open an account if you owe another bank money from overdraft.

Source(s): Been there

I don't know, but I overdrew my bank of america account by 260 dollars the other day. xD see why i need to marry a rich doctor?.. Or, i'll settle for a dentist.