Jean
Jean asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 years ago

10 PTS. how to stop a habitual compulsion?

this is kinda crazy so please don't judge me. I am releasing my frustrations by cursing at tv characters. everybody does NOT like raymond. he is a selfish self centered whiny mama's boy horndog bast..... his mother is a deceptive intrusive trouble making overweight fat bit... I just want to kill both of them. I fear I am becoming irrational so I've tried to stop watching this sitcom but it never works. I have become addicted to cursing them out on a daily basis. I don't know how to stop. can anyone please help me? serious answers only please. thanks so much !

Favorite Answer

Hi there, first off, good for you for realizing your compulsion before it gets out of hand.

Because your compulsion does sound like it's getting a bit out of hand, I suggest seeing a therapist. The therapist may use different types of therapies such as behavioural or cognitive therapies that may aid you greatly, if you want to stop the compulsions. If these compulsions worsen and your catharsis becomes increasingly violent or worse, your therapist may direct you to a psychiatrist who can prescribe medication if needed.

However, before seeing a therapist I suggest that you should try stopping or at least diminish your compulsions by yourself. Challenge your way of thinking every time you curse at the tv characters. Ask yourself why you're doing it, and if it seems silly to you, why you should discontinue the habit. Make a list of all the things that you are frustrated with, and sort them out. When you organize everything, your frustration may decrease as everything will seem more clear. Additionally, make a list of why you believe that you are cursing at the tv characters and why that is irrational, and you want to change it. Start by diminishing your cursing times daily because it's impossible to stop a habitual compulsion 'cold turkey'.

I honestly hope that I helped a bit, I wish you best of luck in battling your compulsion. It's hard, but I'm sure you'll be able to overcome it (:

REPROGRAMMING:

It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, or emotions, by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts: When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.

After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now".

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't.

85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has Stop Cursing / Swearing

Buy a cheap used guitar. Great way to keep you occupied, express yourself, and have fun.