Does greater barrel length increase or reduce recoil?

Im looking into my dream gun, the S&W .44 Magnum Model 29, but Im getting 8 3/8 inch no matter what, but just curious. Does the increase in gas buildup (which creates higher velocities, i know) make for greater recoil?

Favorite Answer

I own 3 .44 mags all with different barrel lengths. Longer the barrel the less felt recoil because of weight. As someone said shoot a 2" stubby and the bark is nasty. Even my Colt 4" can make me think purple thoughts. Your 8 3/8" will be pleasant in comparison.

@Matt you know absolutely nothing about ballistics.

• Sam Z

I once had a school teacher tell me he was afraid to shoot his .38 Special with an 8 inch barrel because it was so much bigger than the .38 snub nose he already shoots. I explained to him the concept of greater mass and how it affects recoil. The next Monday he sheepishly told me how the .38 long barrel was so pleasant to shoot compared to the .38 snub since it had much less recoil.

Greater mass equals less recoil.

Source(s): Gunsmith / Avid hunter

No. The weight of the added materials almost always counteracts any possible increase in gasses. Recoil generally depends entirely on the cartridge being fired itself.

I'm just basing this off of experience only, though... Have an AR-15. Went from a 16 inch standard barrel to a 20 inch bull barrel. It's much, much heavier, so that could make my statement here wrong.

• TDM

The main thing here is weight. A longer barrel weighs more than a shorter one. Weight reduces recoil much more than the burning gases can overcome. Longer barrel=less recoil.

Before you pluck down a ton of $$ for that 29 - have you looked at other pistols, like the Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk? Have you investigated other calibers?

I ask because lots of people who start with a 44mag usually end up trying to handload 'hot loads' after a few years of ownership - and end up damaging the gun beyond repair. If you have bought a larger cartridge pistol to begind with - 480 Ruger, 460 S&W are good choices with the 454 and 500 S&W even more powerful, you would have more power than the 44, and, these are calibers than be loaded hot - and they will break your hand before you hurt the gun.

That - and some pistol like the Super Redhawk come with scope rings. The pistol already have scope groves factory installed. This is 1,000 times better than drilling and tapping a pistol like the 29.

Your question. The heavier the pistol - the less felt recoil. Laws of physics. In silhouette pistol shooting where you fire 40rd per match - we see people using the heavier Super Redhawk - if nothing just to provide some relief to the hands. The big advantage to the longer barrel - is the increased sight radius for long distance shots. The extra barrel weight is a help with recoil, and, does make the bullet go 1% to 3% faster. Longer barrels are better with these large calibers all in all.

Both my wife and I own and carry the 7.5" Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger - we live and hunt in Alaska. I used to carry a 44mag pistol, but, that is really a bit wimpy for the grizzly bears you find around all the nice salmon fishing places. We see allot of folks who come here with a 44mag - and after they see their first brown bear - they trade it in on something bigger the next day.

It will make the muzzle velocity stronger but the added weight will be pulling the gun downward while the recoil pushes upward. so it would reduce recoil

It depends how much longer the barrel is because the longer the barrel the more weight which equals less recoil. But with a pistol there's allot more unburned gunpowder left over which means less gas so less recoil too so really it's just personal preference.

Source(s): Personal Experience.

This is basically a simple physics question. There are two offsetting forces at work here. The higher velocity of the bullet will cause a greater force to push backwards (that whole equal but opposite law) but the increased weight of the gun will resist change(inertia). From practical experience, however, i have found that it does tend to have a little more kick.

• Shoot a .44 snub nose and then shoot one with an 8" barrel and come back and tell us.

Here is a tip,be ready for the recoil with the snub nose,it is going to be hefty.

* The longer the barrel the lesser the recoil, muzzle blast, and muzzle flip.* The Larger the Grain bullet you shoot in it the harder, and heavier the recoil no matter what the barrel length is.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*..............Fly like an Eagle.*~~