Can a doctor put a catheter in me without my concent???? I'm 13 and my parents both say it's ok?

• Jeff

I am afraid you have no say so in the matter since you are only a child. I am sorry. I understand you are scared. I hope everything works out for you. I feel the same way.i am scared to death of the thought of somebody putting a rubber hose up my private. Good luck!

• helene

The doctor isn't going to put a catheter in you for for the heck of it, you know. They do that when it's NECESSARY, for either a surgical or diagnostic procedure.

So grow up. You either accept the catheter, or you go without the procedure, which may mean you'll get sick and need emergency surgery, and if that happens you'll wake up with a catheter in whether you like it or not. They don't ask your permission when you're unconscious.

@ "J" ----it is not a "rubber hose", and the asker never said it was a urinary catheter. They do put them other places, you know, like hearts and veins?

• Your parents could say no but they could refuse to treat you because of that. They do things for a reason.

I had a catheter and I only had a moment's notice. A nurse came in and told me to open my legs as wide as I could. EEK. Still makes me so uncomfortable thinking about it. But it had to be done and I'm still alive. If you have to have one you will survive too. I'm sorry you have to go through it but remember it could always be worse.

yup unless you want your urine all over you or on the bed you are laying on. and besides you are 13 your parents has the say so right now.

Um I think it's up to your parents til your 18. I'm not sure...but I'm sorry you have to have that :(

No, you have a legal right to your body.