Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 9 years ago

Self study for ap gov and ap econ?

I'm going to be a junior in high school and so far I've taken AP Human Geography (4) freshman year and AP US History (hopefully 4) sophomore year. I have no room to take any other courses besides AP English language junior year, and was wondering if it would be possible to take core gov and econ over the summer and then self-study for those two AP tests. Basically, here's what I'm thinking about doing:

This summer:

-Core economics at community college

-Core gov at community college

Junior year:

-AP English Language

-Spanish 4

-Computer Science

-Honors Physics

-Honors Pre-Calc

-Upper Orchestra

-Gym

-Lunch

*Self study for AP gov and econ tests, take AP Eng lang test

And then senior year I'm already taking 5 APs and really don't want to worry about ap gov and econ along with those. :) So I'm wondering:

1) Is it possible to self study for ap econ and gov if I take the core versions of those subjects over the summer?

2) What prep books are the best for review?

3) Is taking 8-9 AP classes throughout high school enough if I want to apply to universities like Northwestern? I have a 4.0 right now and am involved in my school and community.

4) Also, which econ test would you recommend self-studying for? Is one of them easier?

Thanks! Sorry for all the questions!!

• SK
    Favorite Answer

8-9 APs is far above average for a university like Northwestern. Even the best universities only expect you to take the "hardest track available" at whatever your high school is - so if it is unreasonable at your school for you to take 11 or 12 or 13 APs, then they will not hold that against you. Similarly, some high schools only offer 3 or 4 AP courses total. Harvard and Yale (and Northwestern) still take the very best students from those schools, when they show themselves otherwise to be interesting and capable. You are doing FINE with your schedule even without gov or econ.

Additionally, it is extremely difficult to pass the APs if you don't take AP-level classes. The state of Florida has an online high school where students can take AP government via the internet. Only the best students in the state may do so, and they do have real instruction in the subject, although not proper class instruction. The pass rates are shockingly low. So, although it is possible you could do this, I'd recommend against, personally. A great university would be more impressed to see you with seven APs scored 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5 than with nine scored 2, 3, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5 5. By all means, take some summer classes to show that you are an enthusiastic and interested student. But don't feel that you need to take the APs to be in the running for a great university.

I believe it is possible to self study for AP Econ and AP Gov. It is going to take a lot of work but if you really to do it you can. I took AP Gov in high school and it was one of the best classes and the AP test wasn't hard at all. I used Princeton Review AP Government book. I did not take AP Econ but since I have been in college I took an Econ class and all of the information that was covered I found to be rather straight forward. Yes taking 8-9 AP classes is more than enough to get into ivy league schools. But don't overload yourself this will be a very heavy load of classes. You will have to make sure you make good grades in all of those classes. Also, don't forget schools look at more than academics when accepting students make sure that even with all of your AP classes you can stay a well rounded student. Good Luck though. I hope you do well.

• virgen

I will propose NOT to take 7 AP categories as good as learning two. I overloaded my senior 12 months (I'm a senior on the second, I simply completed my second week of tuition). My senior time table in the beginning used to be AP Lit, AP Calc BC, AP US Gov/Politics, AP Chemistry, AP Art History, and AVID. I ended up losing AP Art History considering the fact that it is greater to attention on precise topics extra as an alternative of seeking to diversify your whole time in lots of AP categories. I'm a research man and I love to learn via chapters of the textbook to get a greater know-how no longer simply relying on trainer's lectures, senseless homework (most often calc bc and ap chem), and so forth. Also, if you are no longer excited about one of the crucial AP categories that you're taking, do not take it. To me, it is variety of a waste of time. How predominant is AP Gov US and Comp to you and your different AP's?