Opinion on a Bahamas vacation?

In one of my previous questions, I asked opinions for a good summer vacation. I think I have found one but I would like some opinions!! I was thinking about a 6-day 5-night vacation to Nassau, Bahamas. I would really like some opinions on the idea of going to the Bahamas, and the Royal Towers Hotel, which I was thinking about staying in. Please answer!!! Also, we are thinking about going at the end of July. Would that be a bad time? Honest opinions please!! Thanks!

Best Answer

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the negative comments on Nassau but I'll add acouple of observations.

Someone mentioned hurricane season and yes, it runs from June 1st until December 1st in this part of the world but your chances of getting mixed up in a storm aren't really that great. I've lived in the region for years and only ever experienced one bad hurricane. Summer is rainy season for the Caribbean region which means it's also low season for us and whilst weather is generally good, it does tend to be hotter and more humid in the summer, whereas winter brings nicer breezes and cooler, although still very warm, weather. Prices are also correspondingly lower during the summer months.

As far as location and hotel go, it all depends on what you are looking for on your vacation. If you want to experience a real Caribbean island feel then Nassau and the resort you mention are about as far from that as you can get (IMO) as it is all rather "canned" and aimed very much at those who want a North American friendly package but if what it offers is what you enjoy then go for it.

I don't know your age or whether you are going as half of a couple or as a family so I can't comment on whether or not your choice is going to be the best for you - so much depends on what you are looking for on a personal level :-) If other comments here have made you think twice, you could also consider other islands in the Caribbean - The Virgin Islands are beautiful (US islands more developed than the UK ones), Grand Cayman is a beautiful place too and offers a safe and relaxing holiday destination and there are so many more.....

I've listed my usual travel comparison site in the resources so you can look at alternative places and hotels if you wish, as well as a link to the Royal Towers which might save you some money on your accommodation if you decide to go ahead.

Source(s): Atlantis Royal Towers - Nassau Bahamas - http://search.pricebuster-travel.com/Hotel/Atlanti... Worldwide Hotels Comparison and booking services http://pricebuster-travel.com/

I went on a Nassau, Bahamas with my husband on our Honeymoon on a Royal Caribbean cruise. We were both super excited.

I will never return.

Where we were dropped off was practically in the ghetto. The natives there know you are a tourist and mess with you big time. Every woman demanded that they braid my hair. Every man tried to corner my husband and get him to buy weed. While we made the best of it, it was very sketchy at times which could be very uncomfortable.

I have been to Bermuda and I did not feel this way at all. Bermuda still has a Caribbean feel to it, but the natives were much nicer. There we felt comfortable to take the city bus places and wander around at our leisure. (Not that Bermuda is the safest place, I'm sure other people could share entirely different stories, but this was my experience.)

Anyways to be quite honest I am glad I went to the Bahamas (its hard to hate a honeymoon no matter how bad the experience)... we made the best of it and we didn't get into any danger. As long as you keep an eye on your surroundings at all times and don't fall for anything that sounds too good to be true. I haven't been to the resort that you mentioned but we did pass the "resort strip" on the island and it looked beautiful. The resorts are all very very nice and look like little towns. If you go and plan on sticking close to the resort you should be fine. Just be careful if you find yourself wanting to explore more of Nassau.

We went in October and it was pretty busy. I would imagine July is even busier unless the major heat deters people.

i dont agree with anything said below practically, you will love nassau, i have been there several times and never once has someone try to braid my hair or ask me to buy drugs! u will love the straw market and u are in royal towers right? that is at atlantis, perfect! biggest water park and casino in the caribbean. u can take a 12,00 boat ride to the exuma islands where it is marvelous! u can swim with dolphins in crysal clear water or swim with stingrays at a nearby destination that is a short and cheap boatride away, there is a 4 dollar ferry that will take u from atlantis to nassau and u can eat at the twin bros. fish fry, amazing!! u will have a blast, best trip of ur life! i wouldnt even hesitate. be sure to check out the predator lagoons at atlantis and the baby hammerhead sharks are adorable! the dig is amazing too! 5 or 6 days wont seem like enough time once u get there! most people return again and again.

• Erin

I would choose Bermuda, its pretty and everything is so serine like a piece of heaven. Bahamas is ok to but nothing like Bermuda.

• Dave

Paradise Island is fun- stay at the Comfort Suites to save a lot of $. This is a best kept secret and you still get to use all of the Atlantis for free AND unlike the expensive, but nice Atlantis, you get free breakfast. Walking distance, it is about 1 minute away. I think 4 nights is long enough. They have a great waterpark and lots of things to do. Definitely stay in the Atlantis area- that's where it's at. The rest of Nassau, not so much- at all but you'll have plenty of fun there.

Source(s): Been there.

That's a great time and location if you want the possibility of seeing a hurricane up-close-and-personal.

The Bahamas aren't even IN the Caribbean, actually. There's not much to see/do there either.

If you want to know about that particular hotel/resort, you can go over to TripAdvisor.com and look it up. I suggest you also browse the forum on Nassau.

Well.. Nassau is where Americans go so they can walk around pretending to be in a foreign country where they can still talk American. Nassau is an old, dirty port town with one main street and tons of shops selling overpriced trinkets to the Tourons (tourist morons) It's just NASSAU.. that is about as exciting as Miami Beach. The Bahamas are in the ATLANTIC OCEAN.. you do know that.. right? they are not in the Caribbean. AND.. the best part of the Bahamas is the EXHUMAS.. and you need a PASSPORT to go to the Bahamas.. you know that too.right?

Does that answer your question?