Can one lose the ability to fall in love?

Okay you'll get the shortened version. So about 1½ years ago i lost my first and so far only girlfriend. I reason i've only had 1 gf is because i really consider " love " as something the general population has misunderstood. For me falling in love can only happen once i meet a ridiculously... show more Okay you'll get the shortened version.
So about 1½ years ago i lost my first and so far only girlfriend. I reason i've only had 1 gf is because i really consider " love " as something the general population has misunderstood. For me falling in love can only happen once i meet a ridiculously compatible and "cute " girl. Not a " hot girl " but a cute one.
ANYWAYS it has been 1½ in which i've met some of the most compatible, sweet, fantastic female companions but i just don't fall in love with them. I do not obtain that "spark " at any moment which i consider weird. Is it possible for extremist romantics such as myself to " lose the spark" i wonder? The thing is... I have met girls who have way more "good" overall compared to my ex however she is still the only person i consider compatible. Do you guys and gals have some insight you could share with me? :)

Thanks
Update: side note: No offence guys but please don't draw conclusions. I am not desperate or materialistic at least that's how i consider myself. I have just move or less accepted being forever alone xD It's not as depressing as it started off being. I merely want you to discuss whether or not it is possible... show more side note:
No offence guys but please don't draw conclusions. I am not desperate or materialistic at least that's how i consider myself. I have just move or less accepted being forever alone xD It's not as depressing as it started off being. I merely want you to discuss whether or not it is possible because right now i am convinced it is.