Why do people consider it wrong to form cults?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Wrong to form a cult? Like my local Baptist church? I don't consider it wrong to form a cult. I know people get feathers all puffed out when one corrects their spelling and grammar, but what about the meaning of the word(s)? So I'll present a definition.

1: formal religious veneration : worship

2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents

3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents

4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>

5a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

b : the object of such devotion

c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

My point is, not all cults are bad. If you are gonna used the negative form of them word you need to lets us know so we can answer the question properly.

• Milton
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

I once caught a cult and it took two weeks to get over it. But seriously, it is not wrong, it is often dangerous because cults are often formed by people who are anti-social and present a loving image around which a program of hate and fear is developed. Think od Jim Jones and his mass suicide. Some cults are harmless and fun like the cult that developed around some midnight movies where people dress in costumes and speak the lines. They have an evening of fun and it is harmless.

• 8 years ago

The point of forming cults is to indoctrinate and brainwash people into a specific way of thinking. The goal is to create mindless sheeple.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Cannot speak for others but one aspect of "cults" is that by

their very nature they are controlling and appear to seek

total obedience to whatever 'ism' the cult represents.

Thus taking away the freedom of expression that is part

of human nature.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Because when people think of a cult the ones that come to mind are the ones where all of their members ended up committing mass suicide and/or murder, such as Jim Jones's Peoples Temple, and Marshall Applewhite's Heaven's Gate. Or they think of the ones who have practiced polygamy and/or pedophilia, such as Wayne Bent aka Michael Travesser's Strong City Family. They never, ever think of the ones who have gathered together to try and better themselves.

• gale
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Cults are not viewed as good things because most who get involved stop thinking for themselves and become more like sheeple, than people.

Source(s): Waco, Texas Davidians, Jim Jones Massacre, many people died from being members of these two cults!
  • 8 years ago

Cults are made up of weak vulnerable dependent people who follow a leader and a liar who brainwashes them into thinking they need them to survive.

• Power
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It takes advantage of innocent people. There are some well known religiouns that are no better than the so called cults. People in cutls are not free they often cut themselves off from their family. They work for the person at the top rather than taking care of themselves and living out a life based on their own inner guidance.

• fcm703
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

They don't. Consider all the religious cults flourishing today....

• Larry
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Because the people who are against cults don't like the competition. They belong to cults too, but refuse to call them that. Most any religion that disagrees with their own religion they call s cult.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.