Sejtanic asked in SportsTennis · 8 years ago

Can someone explain to me the Tennis Draw terms?

These stand for what for a tennis draw? (This one is for the Men's tennis draw at the French Open)

128S / 128Q / 64D

Like, what does the S Q and D stand for? Thanks in advance

3 Answers

  • Chuck
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

    S = Singles

    Q = Qualifying

    D = Doubles

    MD = Mixed Doubles

    A normal draw has to have a number of slots [lines] in that that add up to a power of 2:

    2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, etc.

    Oftentimes, they do NOT fill the entire draw as they do in the Grand Slam events, but they have "Byes," which means that somebody gets to play in the next round without having to win.

    More detail in the link below:

    Source(s): <-- click on "USTA Regulations" or "Friend at Court" and look for Draw Procedures, around pages 71-74.
  • Rhonda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    My mentor is trying to teach it to us early so we won't have to adjust our strokes as we get used to the game. To get topspin you should use a semi-western or western grip. Also make a loop with your racket as you hit the ball. So start high, go low and bring the racket back up when you're making contact with the ball. Just focus on it as you continue to play. When you focus on it more and actually visualize the motion, you'll get more topspin and eventually it will come naturally.

  • 8 years ago

    Singles, Qualifying and Doubles

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.