"2001: A Space Odyssey" interpretations for the mansion scene just before the end?

A year or two ago, I watched the film "2001: A Space Odyssey." I read a few interpretations from the internet, but failed to understand them. Just now, I went back and read the Wikipedia article on the various interpretations for it, and now have a much better understanding, but one thing still confuses... show more A year or two ago, I watched the film "2001: A Space Odyssey." I read a few interpretations from the internet, but failed to understand them. Just now, I went back and read the Wikipedia article on the various interpretations for it, and now have a much better understanding, but one thing still confuses me. Does anyone have any interpretation on what the scene, shortly before the end, in which Dave flies through a strange looking light tunnel with weird landscapes and stars, and then arrives in a neoclassical mansion, wanders from room to room, and changes into gradually older and older versions of himself with each room, before changing into an extremely old version of himself, lying on his death bed, and seeing the monolith one more time, is supposed to mean? This whole section of the movie confused me. The end of the movie is not the confusing part for me, in which he turns into the star child, then goes and gazes at earth one more time. It is the section before this, and the light tunnel scene that confuse me. Helpful, straight answers are appreciated. Thanks!