was that show "mermaids" last night on animal planet supposed to be real?

coming from an aspiring cryptozoologist (not really, but...ykwim); it was sooooooooo fake. so fake. faker than kim kardashian's crack. please tell me that was not a real documentary??

Favorite Answer

Well, it was real enough that Homeland Security shut down and seized Animal Planet's website www.believeinmermaids.com Click on the link for yourself if you don't believe me. Maybe you should have watched the show. It had some very compelling evidence. Open your minds. You might learn something.

• It wasn't a real program, it was a "mockumentary", the same as their special from a few years back called "Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real". If you watch it carefully you'll notice that it quite clearly states that the show is a fictional "what if?" presented as though it was actually real.

Personally I have lost all respect for Animal Planet with tripe like this. All they are doing is pandering to the fantasies and delusions that plague our social intelligence when they should be focusing on teaching real science and actual zoology.

No. While the text at the end of the show is a bit misleading, that (paraphrasing) "some of the segments are fictitious", their website states that it is a work of science fiction. However, they also claim that although it is fiction, it is based on some real events.

Anything for ratings, right? No, according to the small print in one similar episode, it was 'a dramatization inspired by the possibility of mythological creatures' existence.'

Make of that what you will.

it was fake... there is a disclaimer that is shown at the beginning of the show and probably the end as well. I didn't bother to watch the whole show.

Idk..Probably not a real documentary, but Mermaids are actually real & have existed in past reality's or Earth experiments. Understand that Creation is Energy & the Universe is infinite.

The Media will do any thing they can just to get their ratings up, in order to keep from falling under and out the door. It was theories, speculations and any other thing you choose to call it.

I didn't watch if for that particular reason. It's funny that animal planet would even show that.

Yeah I don't think it was supposed to be real :)