Are there limits or bounds that a writer can not cross when writing fiction.?

I am a fan of Splatter Punk Authors such as Ed Lee and Gary McMahon. I am considering trying my hand at this type of writing as well. Are there specific limits to subject matter and dialog in regards to publishing?

I am also concerned about how explicit and graphic I can be in my writing.. Are the any taboos I should stay.away from?

Favorite Answer

It's your story. You set the limits, if any. There are some literary agents and publishing companies that might not publish those kinds of stories, but it shouldn't be that hard to find one that does. You'll need an agent before most publishing companies will even consider your manuscript. Agents typically have guidelines and preferences about what kind of genres they'll work with that can be found on their websites. You might try to find out who Lee and McMahon worked with and go from there. The agent will be the one who will find a publishing company willing to publish your book. There's always self-publishing, though I've heard that never goes over well. It's difficult to get any kind of book published, but if you're really determined, you'll find someone who will. Good luck.

• Joss

No (just read Shatter Me - this debut author breaks many writing "rules"). One thing to remember that if you want to break the proverbial "rules" you have to do it well enough for it to work. If it doesnt' work then it'll look like a complete fail. There's nothing wrong with experimenting. Go for it! If it doesn't work, you can always change it.