Why am I having so many problems with my graphics?

I have the following graphics card installed in my HP a6554f desktop:

ZOTAC ZT-40608-10L GeForce GT 430 Video Card - 2GB, DDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-Link DVI, 1x Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11, Single-Slot

It states that I need at least a 300w power supply which is what I have, 300w. Now, I don't even know if my issues are being caused by the card or something else.

It first started yesterday. I was playing a game on pogo.com that I play everyday. Suddenly, my monitors flashed and my aero was no longer working.

I kept playing and there was another flash and my graphics came back to aero mode.

Today I was just composing an email and suddenly, my monitors went to sleep! My computer did not shut down and as I was typing, nothing should have gone to sleep! Besides, I have my performance settings to, "Never sleep"!

Nothing I did would re-awake my monitors so I had to do a forced shut-down. I restarted, selected start windows normally and all has been well for about an hour.

I guess I should add that I am running 2 HP w1907 monitors!

I checked all connections and nothing is loose. I checked for recent updates and there have been none in the last few days.

I check for updates to my system and components on a weekly basis. I keep my computer clean inside & out.

I did a system check and everything is working properly.

Any ideas? Is it possible that running just the minimum psu is not a smart idea? I have 3 internal hard drives and an external hard drive. Don't know if that makes any difference???

7GB of RAM

Q6600 processor.

Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Dylan
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like you're really pushing that PSU to it's limits. I'd recommend an upgrade, PSU's aren't expensive. I'd go with Antec, I have an old 400 watt Antec Smart Power and it's great, no power issues, it's old but still works. I also plan on getting a similar card only it's the 440 version which is ever so slightly better. Just barely, though.

Lv 6
    9 years ago

ur psu isn't strong enough u need 350-400 watts of a quality psu antec earth watts would serve u well

i know the requires power supply is 300 watts for that card but its a generic psu and just doesn't have enough amps on the 12 volt rail to power the card etc u need at least 22 amps

a too low of a power supply can cause

bad 3D performance

crashing games

spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC

freezing during gameplay

PSU overload can cause it to break down

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.