Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 5

If God exists why does he let horrific things happen?

This baby died from child abuse. She was thrown around the room, raped, bitten, slapped, punched, and other horrible things. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTWLj1_ISB8.

This is another child abuse story. A woman abused all of her children in unimaginably horrific ways. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuA0Wub4LU4&feature...

Rape, abuse, neglect, and murder happens to good people daily. No one deserves those things. Yet it happens all the time.

Then, natural disasters ruin people's lives and take away their loved ones such as the tsunami that hit Thailand, Indonesia, Phuket, and Sri Lanka in 2004. Tons of people lost loved ones that day and had their homes and towns destroyed. Things like this happen a lot as well. Christians say God judges a nation, he brings natural disasters upon it. Innocent people die. Excuse me but, how is that loving? He also let the Holocaust happen to the Jews. There are many other horrible things that he has let happen to people but I don't want to make this question too long.

Anyway, if God does exist, which there is no sound evidence to prove that he does, then he seems very cruel and vengeful. If he really loved mankind he would NEVER let things like that happen.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In dealing with the problem of evil in the world, we run into many problems like this one. Could God have prevented the Holocaust? Yes, He could have. He could also have prevented Stalin’s massacres in the U.S.S.R., the Spanish Inquisition’s torture of dissidents, and Nero’s reign of terror. In each case, God allowed evil men to exercise a certain amount of power for a short period of time.

Ultimately, we do not know the reasons for what God allows. His ways and thoughts are infinitely higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9). His sovereign plan takes in the whole scope of history, past, present, and future, encompassing every possible course of action, every cause and effect, every potentiality, and every contingency. There is no way we could possibly fathom the intricacies of His design. By faith, we trust that His plan is the best plan possible for restoring fallen humanity and a cursed world to righteousness and blessing.

But we can understand this: God’s permission is not the same as His approval. God permitted Adam to eat of the forbidden tree, but He did not approve of the action. In the same way, God’s allowing the Holocaust in no way suggests His approval of it. God is grieved by the sinfulness of man and the hardness of his heart (Genesis 6:6; Mark 3:5).

We also know that God has done everything possible to redeem us from the sin which would destroy us. He gave His only Son, who sacrificed His life for our sin and took our penalty. All who turn to Jesus Christ in faith are saved. The sin in this world, and horrors such as the Holocaust, are a direct result of mankind’s continued rebellion against God.

While nothing can justify the Holocaust, we do see at least one good thing which came from World War II: Israel now exists as a nation. The Holocaust was a primary reason the White Paper of 1939 was rescinded, freeing Jews to immigrate to Palestine. The fact that, as of 1948, the Jews have a restored national identity helps to fulfill such biblical prophecies as Ezekiel 37 and Matthew 24. Defeating Nazism and giving the land of Israel back to the Jews is a classic example of God’s thwarting Satan’s plan and bringing about good in spite of the evil.

In all of His doings, God is just (Psalm 145:17). The blame for the Holocaust lies squarely on the shoulders of sinful humanity. The Holocaust was the product of sinful choices made by sinful men in rebellion against a holy God. If the Holocaust proves anything, it is the utter depravity of man. Just fourteen years after "the war to end all wars" (World War I), Hitler rose to power. What is even more shocking is that millions followed him, enabling his horrific policies and pursuing a path to national destruction.

And while Nazism took hold in Germany, where were the European churches? Some, it is true, stood fast against the evil in their midst, and some churchmen, such as Dietrich Bonhoeffer, paid the ultimate price for dissenting. But they were the minority. Most churches of the era acquiesced to Nazi Party rules and remained silent while the Jews were slaughtered. Where were the world leaders? Other than England’s Winston Churchill, the world’s politicos took the route of isolation or appeasement. Neither worked. Where were the good, decent people? Edmund Burke is often quoted as saying, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph in the world is for enough good men to do nothing." Although there were a few Germans and other Europeans such as Oscar Schindler and Corrie ten Boom and her family, who risked their lives to save thousands of Jews from annihilation, most remained silent and the Holocaust ensued. The question is not so much "Why did God allow the Holocaust?" but "Why did we?"

God gives mankind freedom of choice. We can choose to follow Him and take a stand for righteousness, or we can rebel against Him and pursue evil. The problem resides in the heart of man. "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" (Jeremiah 17:9). Until man’s heart turns to God, the world will continue to witness "ethnic cleansings," genocides, and atrocities such as the Holocaust.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

The Bible clearly states: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” (1 John 5:19) When you think about it, does that not make sense? This world reflects the personality of the invisible spirit creature who is “misleading the entire inhabited earth.” (Revelation 12:9) Satan is hateful, deceptive, and cruel. So the world, under his influence, is full of hatred, deceit, and cruelty. That is one reason why there is so much suffering.

A second reason why there is so much suffering is that, as discussed in Chapter 3, mankind has been imperfect and sinful ever since the rebellion in the garden of Eden. Sinful humans tend to struggle for dominance, and this results in wars, oppression, and suffering. (Ecclesiastes 4:1; 8:9) A third reason for suffering is “time and unforeseen occurrence.” (Ecclesiastes 9:11) In a world without Jehovah as a protective Ruler, people may suffer because they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It is comforting for us to know that God does not cause suffering. He is not responsible for the wars, the crimes, the oppression, or even the natural disasters that cause people to suffer. Still, we need to know, Why does Jehovah allow all this suffering? If he is the Almighty, he has the power to stop it. Why, then, does he hold back? The loving God that we have come to know must have a good reason.—1 John 4:8.

To find out why God allows suffering, we need to think back to the time when suffering began. When Satan led Adam and Eve into disobeying Jehovah, an important question was raised. Satan did not call into question Jehovah’s power. Even Satan knows that there is no limit to Jehovah’s power. Rather, Satan questioned Jehovah’s right to rule. By calling God a liar who withholds good from his subjects, Satan charged that Jehovah is a bad ruler. (Genesis 3:2-5) Satan implied that mankind would be better off without God’s rulership. This was an attack on Jehovah’s sovereignty, his right to rule.

Adam and Eve rebelled against Jehovah. In effect, they said: “We do not need Jehovah as our Ruler. We can decide for ourselves what is right and what is wrong.” How could Jehovah settle that issue? How could he teach all intelligent creatures that the rebels were wrong and that his way truly is best? Someone might say that God should simply have destroyed the rebels and made a fresh start. But Jehovah had stated his purpose to fill the earth with the offspring of Adam and Eve, and he wanted them to live in an earthly paradise. (Genesis 1:28) Jehovah always fulfills his purposes. (Isaiah 55:10, 11) Besides that, getting rid of the rebels in Eden would not have answered the question that had been raised regarding Jehovah’s right to rule.

• 9 years ago

Evidence God Exists:

We are alive and aware and we are part of the universe. Therefore, the universe is alive and aware, experiencing itself through us. Just like how smaller organisms make up our bodies, we make up the universe. In that way, all conscious awareness is connected, creating a universal consciousness. All things are one, and that one is what I would call a higher power: something that has influence on the outcome of its own destiny. That destiny is also our destiny. I believe that this power created itself and the universe, and is therefore a higher power that I can logically call God.

Apparently it is possible in a perceivably infinite universe for consciousnesses to emerge as a result of the complex arrangement of pre-existing systems.

The idea is: the same way cells and structures arrange themselves in the human brain and allow the mind - the same may be possible on a much grander scale.

God gave us free will. That was the greatest give that God could give us. Would you rather God came down and interfered with our affairs? It is man who lets evil things happen. God gave us the ability to chose.

• 9 years ago

Only YAHUSHUA has eternal life. The only way you can share it is to become one with Him. If He overpowered every choice, you would not have freedom, and thus would not have the option of eternal life. Soon He will return and settle the matter. Until then, things are pretty ugly. I'm sure He doesn't like it either.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Let me answer your question as best as I can. Let look at each part of your question. Question 1: Why do natural disasters happen? Answer 1: Read Leviticus chapter 18 in the Bible. It talks about all the things that will defile a land and bring judgment on it. It is not God who is necessarily bringing judgment on those people and on the land itself, it is the behavior of those people. Listen to this truth: No one human being is "innocent" because we have all sinned and are guilty in God's eyes. So, no one is "innocent". We all deserve judgment because we have sinned against God, and sometime we do get judgment. But sometimes God has mercy on us and we do not get what we should have gotten (punishment). This is why some natural disasters happen:

Also Jesus spoke about what will happen in the last days. These are the last days of time. Time as we know it will cease to exist and we will step into eternity. Read Matthew chapter 24:3-14

Also:

1 John 5:19 We know [positively] that we are of God, and the whole world [around us] is under the power of the evil one.

If you see evil things happening in the world the root cause of all evil, suffering, pain, abuse, neglect, injustice, inequity, poverty, lack, deception, mistrust, etc. is the devil, Satan.

Jesus said right there one of the reasons for so much death and suffering.

Also about earthquakes: Jer 10:10 But the Lord is the true God {and} the God of truth (the God Who is Truth). He is the living God and the everlasting King. At His wrath the earth quakes, and the nations are not able to bear His indignation.

Questions 2: Why did the Holocaust of the Jews happen? Answer 2: According to Wikipedia the Holocaust did not only include Jews. Look up the Wikipedia article on the Holocaust. Why it happened is because when Satan gets behind a man in a powerful position (Hitler) he can influence him to do his bidding such as kill God's chosen people and other people. That idea did not come from Hitler and this is why:

John 10:10 The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have {and} enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows).

Also: read the Book of Esther and how the Jews were treated then. That is what should have happened with the Holocaust but did not.

Finally, there is the curse that is on the earth: Read Deuteronomy chapters 27 and 28 and you will understand why so many bad things happen to people. Here is a sample of why:

But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord your God, being watchful to do all His commandments and His statutes which I command you this day, then all these curses shall come upon you and overtake you:

Deut 28:16 Cursed shall you be in the city and cursed shall you be in the field.

Deut 28:17 Cursed shall be your basket and your kneading trough.

Deut 28:18 Cursed shall be the fruit of your body, of your land, of the increase of your cattle and the young of your sheep.

Deut 28:19 Cursed shall you be when you come in and cursed shall you be when you go out.

Deut 28:20 The Lord shall send you curses, confusion, and rebuke in every enterprise to which you set your hand, until you are destroyed, perishing quickly because of the evil of your doings by which you have forsaken me [Moses and God as one].

Your disbelief in God.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please {and} be satisfactory to Him. For whoever would come near to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He is the rewarder of those who earnestly {and} diligently seek Him [out].

If you do not have any faith, you will not believe in God because it takes faith to believe in God.

Question 3: Why does He allow bad things to happen. Answer 3: He will not override human will unless He is invited into a situation through prayer. Essentially, people have invited God out of their lives and then when something bad happens they blame Him because He was not there. God has a presence just like you and me and when His presence leaves a land, place or people, bad things happen. When God goes away from people bad things happen in His place. He sometimes acts sovereignly and does things just because He wants to for His own purposes regardless of Human will and because He is God and He can do that.

I cannot explain to you all the characteristics of God. God is person. And like any person, sometime He is Happy, sometimes things we do sadden Him, sometimes He is angry, sometimes He laughs, He loves people, He judges people, He is merciful, He is forgiving, He loves what is good, and hates what is evil. We cannot comprehend and infinite God with a finite mind and heart. God does not make sense to my mind, but I trust Him with my heart. If this is way too long I apologize but I am trying to answer all your questions. I love you and that is why I am telling you the truth! I hope that you will come to believe in God one day!

Source(s): Amplified Bible, Wikipedia Holocaust Article, personal experience
  • Tiger
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

This question is probably as old as religion itself. It is a stumbling block for some of us, and for many more at given moments of tragedy. There are as many answers to this question as there are people who care to engage in theological dialogue. One understanding is that yes, God allows "bad" things to happen; God does not cause them to happen.

Most "bad" things which happen do so because God gives a radical freedom to God's people; we are free people, not puppets on a string. But God does not cause "bad" things to happen. God loves us and grieves with us in our pain when "bad things" happen.

Therefore, we might best respond by saying that God does not Will "bad" things to happen in life. Rather, "bad" things happen in the freedom that comes with the gift of life. When "bad" things happen to any of God's children, God is grieved and suffers with us, experienced most vividly in the hurt and suffering of Jesus the Christ for all humanity. Any "bad" thing which happens is never the last word. Rather, God is the deepest and last word, and that word is love and eternal life with God.

You will never find a simple answer to why. Because there is none, at least that we are able to understand now. If you read Job you can find one possible answer.

• 9 years ago

if you exist, why do YOU let horrific things happen?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Which God? Christian, Islamic, Judaism, Mormon Gods that tell you to wait and do nothing, cuz apparentally a Jewish zombie is coming back from the dead to "save" us all...and we just need to beg/grovel our whole lives for salvation.

Or others Gods? Who tell you its YOUR DUTY, to be the change you want it the world and to stop whining and crying like a little *****.....and man up since its your life you were given and its your duty to make this life the best you can....NOT YOUR NIEGBOR, YOUR MOM, DAD, PREIST, GOVERNMENT, OR YOUR FAVORITE CELEBRITY!

****!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Every time I let my son out of my sight I was subjecting him to any of those things happening.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's because he does not exist, tell me which has done more to reduce suffering and disease God or science ? un yet there are some who think science is the work of the Devil.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.