Running for President Of The United States.?

This is a complex question: However, I hope someone can give me a non complex answer. What are delegates? I understand when a candidate runs in primary, he or she win a majority of delegates, then the person who has the most delegates wins their nomination. So example say TX has 64 delegates, does this mean the Candidate say romney needs to win 64,000 votes to get 64 delegates? or 640,000 votes to get 64 delegates or 64 votes? This is what confuses me.

Favorite Answer

The number of delegates each state has depends on the population of that state. Each state decides whether or not to split the delegates between candidates or have all go to the majority winner. The delegates go to the national convention and nominate a candidate based on their stated commitment

The delegates are to the Party's nominating convention which usually held at the end of the summer.