What is the best gun combination to own?

I have way too many guns and want to get down to 2 or 3. What would you have? A plinker .22 rifle and a powerful pistol like a revolver? A plinker .22 target pistol and an AR type rifle? A Colt 1911 ACP and a hunting rifle? Thoughts?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

your question is a trick. No such thing as owning too many guns. A collection of firearms can be quite valuable. Save them all, if you have guns you don't often shoot or are not enjoyable to shoot clean them very well then pack them in grease and vacuum sealed bags for long term storage. Firearms for the most part don't loose value like electronics or automobiles; unless of course they have been abused, overshot, or generally poorly maintained. I would suggest hanging onto as many as possible.

However, if you must thin your collection it really depends on who you are. Are you a para military doomsday prepper? a hunter? a competitive shooter? or a sunday afternoon plinker...

If you are hardcore about your 2nd amendment right and personal protection you want a primary and secondary weapon system. Typically a main battle rifle and a sidearm. There are tons of choices on the market for a MBR ranging from cheap AK47 clones, Galil's, SKS rifles or pricer modern production AR platforms. In my opinion best option is a .308 auto loading platform. AR10, M1A, FAL, G3/HK91 are the big four. There are some people who will also favor even more powerful based rifles in a bolt action platform .30-06 and 8mm mauser ww2 milsurp rifles shoot great.

In a secondary a polymer framed doubled stacked auto in .45acp or 9mm is a solid option. There are other calibers available such as .40S&W and .357sig that are solid performers from 4" barreled pistols but are a little harder to find and can be a little more expensive. Bulk ammo producers like Tula make bulk .45 and 9mm so you can stock up and shoot cheap.

for an all around fun reliable shooter useful in many roles I would say ruger 10/22. You have near unlimited modification options to customize and personalize it to your shooting needs/style.

Shotguns are useful in some applications but limited in range ammunition capacity and penetration. Shotguns tend to be specialized for a specific purpose i.e. wing shooting, door breaching, riot control.

• akluis
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Bare Minimum:

12 gauge shotgun with a 26" barrel and a 22-24" rifle sighted barrel both with variable choke. The rifle sighted barrel can be used for slug hunting or home defense.

22 rifle

Centerfire handgun. I'd choose a 357 magnum with a 6" barrel, a 44 magnum would be an excellent choice as well. Can both hunt and carry it for self defense

Centerfire rifle, true rifle caliber. Choose a 308 semiauto rifle and put a scope on it good for short to medium range so you can use it for hunting or defense. An AR-10 with an ACOG, and M-1A with a scout scope...something like that.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Well, for me, the absolute minimum would be a revolver in at least .357 Mag, a .22 lr rifle, a decent powered center fire (anything based on the .308 or .30-06 case would work) bolt action rifle, a 12 ga pump shotgun, and an AR-15 or two.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

If your armory doesn't include a 12-gauge shotgun, you're under-equipped.

Additionally, I'd recommend a .22LR rifle and pistol combo, a pistol in a common large caliber such as a 9mm or .45 ACP, and a rifle big enough to hunt with.

Source(s): Logistics
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

If you go with only two- a 30-06 hunting rifle and a 12guage could handle any need that arises. To add a 3rd I would say a .22 rifle.

• 9 years ago

You should have a nice bolt action hunter in a .308 or 30-06. Remington 870 12 gauge, and a glock. Not only are these guns reliable and easy to cheap to shoot, but they will last you a lifetime.

• 9 years ago

.22lr semi auto.

.30-06 bolt

12 guage

The .22 is good for small game. .30-06 is good for big game. 12 gauge is good for flying stuff and turkeys. It doesn't cover coyotes well if you are hunting for fur and it is a hair small for grizzlies but that combo will cover North America well.

• 9 years ago

M16

USP.45

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.