Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Why do you think Ohio seeks to pass a bill preventing poll workers from telling voters where to go to vote?

This is when people who show at the wrong polling place on voting day. Why this kind of bill? This has nothing to do with voter fraud! But it does have to fo with keeping people from voting, or voter suppression, right?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That is an interesting idea by Ohio legislators. I don't really understand it. I do know my own polling place has changed this year for the first time in the 30+ years I have lived in the same voting district. Why not let poll workers redirect voters who may be confused by change. It would be the logical thing to do. Or at least put up written directions so poll workers could point voters to the literature about it. What a crazy world we live in today. Dissuading voters from participating should be the last thing politicians should support.

Edit: I have heard that the GOP has an agenda to suppress voter turn out. It is the most egregious undermining of democracy available to American politicians,and they should be impeached for such actions. It should be a crime.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Voter suppression . Republicans in many states are running scared and will pull out all the stops to avoid the issue that a vote for Romney is a vote to return to the Bush policies and more tax breaks for the rich instead of investing in technology and infrastructure and broadening the base .

You can thank the less - than - Supreme Court for allowing big money to hide and run their propaganda and more importantly their agenda . Believe it or not , many true Conservatives are embarrassed with the neocon take over . They may not vote Democratic but even worse is they may not vote at all . There is a growing anti - Koch and anti - Norqust sentiment .

• 9 years ago

Alicia Murphy:

Last week, the GOP-led House passed an election law overhaul without the highly restrictive voter ID provision. However, the House tweaked the bill to weaken a law mandating poll workers to direct voters in the wrong precinct to their correct voting location. Under the new language, a poll worker need not direct a voter to where they are eligible, adding that “it is the duty of the individual casting the ballot to ensure that the individual is casting that ballot in the correct precinct.”

And gee, I think it's suppression.

• 9 years ago

Voter suppression only happens in 3rd world countries. That would never happen here like it use to.

Welcome to the past.

Paul Weyrich, "father" of the right-wing movement and co-founder of the Heritage Foundation, Moral Majority and various other groups;

"As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

The GOP Tea Party RepubliCONs will do any dirty filthy thing they can to win. That is why they have done everything possible to stop job creation by cutting 500,000 public sector jobs and voting against EVERY piece of JOBS legislation.

• 9 years ago

Why wouldn't you be able to go to your own polling place? Or is this because you want to vote in multiple locations?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They are sure to steal this one ed e. And not bat an eye. They will then go on to say they won. Fair and square. HMDW...!

• 9 years ago

Right. It's voter suppression. The technique has been a hallmark of Republican political strategy for over 100 years.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

That's extremely raw. But you're correct. I couldn't believe my ears the other day.

• 9 years ago

Voter suppression has been a big part of the CON strategy for many years.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.