SSD vs. HDD as a boot drive?

Please try to answer all my questions if possible

I am wanting to buy a new SSD for my new PC that I am building but also i've heard somewhere that you can loose all your data or something like that I don't know if it was the correct thing that I was reading. Ok what I am asking for help here is if I have my ssd as my boot drive and just a couple of games and some apps. and plus I set up like a 500GB HD as well for files like music, docs, movies...etc will they show up on the desktop like if they were on my primary drive? Don't understand what I am trying to say? Ex. I have my SSD for a boot drive and have like origin on there with the game bf3 and I run out of space can I download another game onto origin or steam with it showing up on the desktop like the boot drive or will it show up like a Memory card like all folders with my games in there? sorry I can't explain better than that

Favorite Answer

I have a Seagate Hybrid SSD 750GB with 8GB Nand and it works like a charm. Much less expensive than a regular SSD and not much slower either. I store all of my files on other drives.

To answer your questions...

Yes, Install your OS on the SSD and your most frequently used games. Transfer all of your music, movies, documents, etc. to other drives and then 'point' to them when you set up your folders. Example... Open your document folder and then you can choose to add a destination folder (basically creating a shortcut) that will show when you open the document folder from the start menu.

You can install programs that you don't feel are necessary on the SSD by changing the drive letter during the installation process. Example... Install MS Office. Default will be drive C.... Change the drive letter to D or E etc... When the installation is complete, the program will be installed on the secondary drive but the OS will automatically include it in the programs menu. When the options are given for you to add icons to the taskbar and or desktop you can do that during the install or do it manually later.

Hope this helps.

• Otter

Solid State Drives or SSD's are very dependable and will last up to 10 years and beyond reason being they have no moving parts so they don't create heat by friction. You H.H.D. will fail before it will. Using a H.H.D. to store additional files is good and yes you can put a game on it or any other files, just back em up, I have over 5000 movies,games,software ect on 12 T.B.s of H.H.D.'s and they are all backed up ( two copies). I also use a SSD for my O.S. M.S. 8 64 bit.

Hope this helps good luck.

Source(s): B.S. in Computer Engineering and 30 yrs. exp.

SSD will be better for a boot drive. I wish I could answer the other questions but I'm having trouble understanding them (should be easier for someone else).

• LPunch

A SSD hands down. If you have the option of using a SSD as a boot drive, do it.