Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Feel bad about accidentally hitting my dog cause he got in a figh?

Please don't judge and say mean things, I will report it because the only reason I slapped him was because,he randomly attacked my oldest dog (he's 12 and my puppy who attacked him is about 1) I slapped him on the head without thinking and yelled "bad dog!" He gave me these big puppy dog eyes and slowly went upstairs. I feel so bad about it, but apparently it was the right think to do? I'm against animal abuse and I feel like that's what I did when I was teaching my puppy a lesson. Was it the right thing to do? Again please don't judge me, I wasn't thinking when I hit him, it was just a reaction.

• Bec
    Favorite Answer

1) Don't worry - you didn't abuse him. Sometimes a tap/ light smack can be useful in punishment (I don't mean for not sitting on command but more of an attack on an animal or person type of thing). My dog often gets a tap on the nose for barking because he refuses to shut up - even trying to hold his mouth closed he still attempts to bark.

2) If they fight again keep your hands well out the way. I know its nasty to watch but they were probably just fighting over dominance (or playfighting). My dog can be nasty to about 80% of other dogs and will attack them if they sniff him. He usually gets a far as pinning the other dog down and snapping at it before "winning" and the other dog showing submission. For my dog that is enough and he will stop attacking. (obviously we try to put him on a lead before he meets other dogs to stop the fight before it happens)

3) He wont hate you forever. And once you've all calmed down and down some other things (watch some tv, have your meal or whatever) go and give your dog a cuddle. Give him some attention for doing something good (make him sit, lie, sit, lie and then give him a cuddle). He wont assosciate you with pain and anger. My other dog cowers when you tell her off and can continue to do so if you look at her sternly for 10 minutes after the telling off (all I do is "did you do this? What's this???" and after I ignore her for a while I come back and give her a cuddle and all is forgiven)

And I agree with the comments about your puppy trying to show dominance and become the alpha. YOU (and all humans, other pets, your older dog) all come before the puppy. Walk through doors first, eat first, greet humans and then after 5 minutes greet the dogs etc.

It sounds like the pup is making an alpha challenge to the older dog to see if he can move up in the pack order and become pack leader. This is common for younger dogs and can occur anytime from about 7 months of age to 2 years of age.

You can reinforce the older dog's alpha position by learning more about how to be alpha pack leader. Part of it includes:

- the older dog always gets fed first & gets treats first.

- when you're letting both outside, the older dog goes first.

You made a spontaneous decision. I don't have a problem with it, but don't go on a guilt trip after the fact or you'll screw yourself up. It was an immediate response and the pup understands that you didn't approve of his actions. He knows EXACTLY what he did that you didn't like. He'll get over it. read the websites below and find what helps you.

And you might want to report Zeph Y for abusing you instead of answering you. His comments were completely wrong and out of order as well as highly insulting. -!-

Source(s): Alpha: http://leerburg.com/puppygroundwork.htm - Groundwork to become Pack Leader, Ed Frawley http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm - NILIF [ nothing in life is free ] http://www.inupiat.no/Alfa.htm - how to be Alpha Pack Leader

Well, I am going to judge you because if you don't know enough to severely reprimand a year old DOG who is attacking an older dog, then your older dog is going to get seriously hurt. A year old dog who attacks an old dog he lives with, is trying to take over as number one and needs a reprimand. A smack isn't the best way to do it. A scruff shake and a growl is more effective since it is 'language' he understands. You need to start being a leader instead of acting like you belong to PETA. If you don't act like a leader, your old dog is going to be taking beatings from that young dog for the next year!

Take the year old dog to an obedience class and learn some leadership skills so that you can control your pack...and yes, even two dogs and one person are a pack!

Source(s): 49 years breeding, training and competing with dogs of various breeds and living with them as a pack.

Hun I'm not going to judge you. There's abuse and then there's ending a fight. I have no issue with a dog getting hit to end a fight.

My cat thinks hes a big bad ***, and will attack my 90 or so pound Rottweiler. She has been knocked up side her head a few times to end it because otherwise I would be burying my cat. My family has had to use 2X4 to break up fights between their dogs, and that barely broke the fight up.

Don't feel too bad for him, he attacked. Don't hold on to it act as if none of it happened. Fights are to be ended before too much damage is done.

Either one could have gotten really hurt.

You're not a terrible owner, don't feel bad. The best way to stop a fight is to give them a quick squirt with a spray bottle set on the jet setting on the butt. It'll usually stop the fight immediately. Just make sure you don't spray them in the face or they'll know it's water. Also don't let them see what is spraying them or they'll know it's just the bottle and not learn anything. It works like a charm. This isn't just my observation either, this is the words of a pet trainer who used to work at Petsmart training the store trainers for a tri state area. Hope this helps!

An owner who yells at and hits a dog in reaction to unwanted behavior which a dog that has no moral compass to guide its actions would not perceive as wrong or bad for an attempt to assert is position as the higher ranking dog over an advanced senior, and would be seen as unstable and unpredictable, with weak authority in the eyes of a dog.

At twelve years old the senior dog must be the priority and protected from the natural canine behavior of the adolescent youngster that is likely to be testing his ranking in the pecking order as he matures and is in the "terrible teen" stage in the young dog's mental development, where butting heads with older dogs, ignoring commands and testing boundaries is not uncommon.

I suggest taking your younger dog to obedience classes to work on the foundation already taught, implementing NILF so he has to work for everything which will reinforce your position as firm calm fair leader in the household, in control of every aspect of his life, who provides guidance, praise and corrections and decides what happens and when.

In the short term consider purchasing an indoor dragging dog lead for the young dog and if he is disobedient and does not stop an unwanted behavior when you tell him to, you can enforce your will over his by reeling the lead in and physically move him away from your older dog.

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-leashes-lines-and-...

You mishandled the situation by not communicating what behavior should be stopped in a way a dog understands, but as a one off it will not damage the dog/owner relationship with your young dog.

Don't worry, I have the same feelings as well. But its completely normal to do that to a dog when its misbehaving. You were only teaching it what it can't do and that's what you have to do. Dogs are like people so they will probably be be sad if you do that but 5 minutes later they will be themselves again. Don't worry, its not abuse. I hope this helps

I never recommend sticking your hands anywhere near a dog fight. The dog may turn around thinking your the other dog grabbing him and you end up getting bit. To break up a dog fight use two stainless teal bowls and bang them together or pots and pans something that's going to make a loud sharp noise to startle the dog you then have one second while they are both distracted to separate the dog. As far as abuse? I wouldn't say it was abuse..

"Please don't judge and say mean things, I will report it"

Making threats and demands in your question is in itself a violation of Y!A's Terms of Service, so if anyone is going to get reported it will be you.

http://answers.yahoo.com/info/community_guidelines...

Now, to answer your question, although you acted from instinct, you did exactly the right thing. He showed aggression to a family member and you gave him a firm and instant correction. However, this would not have happened in the first place if he were properly obedience trained. I suggest the two of you enroll in a good obedience training class.

hitting ur animal to punish and abusing them are two different things i tap my kitten on the head when she is bad n as long as its not too hard its okay its almost like spanking a kid do do it too hard or it is abuse