Feel bad about accidentally hitting my dog cause he got in a figh?

Please don't judge and say mean things, I will report it because the only reason I slapped him was because,he randomly attacked my oldest dog (he's 12 and my puppy who attacked him is about 1) I slapped him on the head without thinking and yelled "bad dog!" He gave me these big puppy dog eyes and... show more Please don't judge and say mean things, I will report it because the only reason I slapped him was because,he randomly attacked my oldest dog (he's 12 and my puppy who attacked him is about 1) I slapped him on the head without thinking and yelled "bad dog!" He gave me these big puppy dog eyes and slowly went upstairs. I feel so bad about it, but apparently it was the right think to do? I'm against animal abuse and I feel like that's what I did when I was teaching my puppy a lesson. Was it the right thing to do? Again please don't judge me, I wasn't thinking when I hit him, it was just a reaction.